Senior Technical Accountant
Why Tokio Marine HCC?
Standing still is not an option in the current world of Insurance. TMHCC are one of the world’s leading Specialty Insurers. With deep expertise in our chosen lines of business, our unparalleled track record and a solid balance sheet, TMHCC evaluates and manages risk like no one else in the industry. Looking beyond profit, empowering our people and delivering on our commitments are at the core of our customer values, and so is a desire to grow and provide creative and innovative solutions to our clients.
The Finance Operations Team (“Fin Ops”) sits within International Finance and is responsible for delivering quality internal and external outputs to all stakeholders within a controlled framework for insurance technical, cash, treasury and expense accounting activities.
The successful applicant will be joining at an exciting time as we invest in strengthening the Fin Ops team and enhancing processes and controls whilst driving continuous improvements.
1. Support the Technical Accounting team in all month end close duties including assisting with technical and cash queries and ensuring continual improvements with efficiencies and accuracies.
- Work closely with FP&A and Reinsurance to oversee any corrections which require posting into the General ledger.
Ensure technical accounting entries are made accurately and on a timely manner, highlighting and dealing with any potential issues.
3. Production of monthly and quarterly reporting requirements including Intercompany analysis, Reinsurance reporting and Location of Risk reporting to Head office, aswel as contributing to the Lloyd’s QMA/QSR and Solvency II reporting.
4. Reconcile and analyse balance sheet accounts for all UK controlled entities and deliver reports to different stakeholders across the business.
5. Peer reviewing of the Technical Accountant’s reconciliations and provide cover for Technical Accounting Manager during annual leave.
6. Oversight of the IPT liability account and work with the Credit Control manager to regularly monitor and clear this ledger.
7. Report on all reconciling differences and work with parties responsible to resolve queries and maintain low balances.
8. Key contributor to the design of new ways of working and adoption of new technologies feeding the General ledger.
The scope will cover all entities in the TM HCC International Group (including the International Insurance Companies, European branches, UK Service companies and Lloyd’s Syndicate).
Month end Close Process
Assist in the production of the month end close process. Ensure all scheduled tasks are completed and the close deadlines are met, including the following tasks:
· Review and reconcile monthly underwriting reports to the data warehouse and book required entries to the general ledger. Investigate and resolve issues.
- Preparation and posting of UK and US GAAP journals along with any other manual adjustments to ensure data integrity.
- Running of the monthly revaluations and translations within the General ledger and prepare monthly tax computations for all international entities.
- Completion of all assigned balance sheet reconciliations ensuring completion is in accordance with the Corporate Accounting Policy.
- Support the technical accounting team with income statement reconciliations back to the data warehouse.
- Production and distribution of various reports to internal stakeholders.
- Ad-Hoc tasks when required for month end process.
- Work closely with various departments including Treasury, Cash, Underwriters, RI, BI and Overseas branches to resolve reconciliation issues.
Assist with all International entities to ensure controls are in place and processes are robust enough to pass all audits.
· Participate in the monthly reconciliation close process with the International Technical Accounting Manager to make sure all the reconciliations are signed off and filed by the various divisions within finance.
· Drive process improvement and policy development initiatives that impact the finance function.
Ensure relevant process documents and process flows are update on a timely manner and incorporate changes and enhancements to procedures.
· Complete key Internal and External audit control processes in line with deadlines and business requirements.
Other duties as and when required.
· Review and provide support on Intercompany accounting and reconciliations and look to improve processes within this requirement.
· Working with the Cash and Treasury teams to ensure Debtor and Creditor accounts are accurate and being managed efficiently.
· Provide support and assistance to the wider Finance Operations teams where needed.
· Liaise with Data and Process Improvement team to report any issues and suggest improvements.
· Provide subject matter expertise input and support to projects impacting a future changes, BAU activities, month end close and Reporting by supporting the Technical Accounting Manager and the wider Finance Operations teams in any tasks.
Skills and Experience Specification:
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Qualified Accountant (5 years post qualification)
§ Experience working in an insurance business
- Advanced Excel skills including Pivot Tables, advanced formulae and large scale data manipulation
§ Previous experience dealing with Data Warehouse systems
§ General Ledger: PeopleSoft
- Experienced initiating and driving process and financial control improvements
- Experience initiating and implementing change within Finance
· Professional approach and delivery of work product
· Energy, enthusiasm, and persistence
· Collaborative approach which seeks to build relationships across the broader Finance team and with Business Intelligence
· Concise and able to articulate complex issues
· Strong analytical review skills
· Methodical approach to problem solving
· Focus on timely delivery of quality outputs
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Drive and commitment to achieve individual, project and team objectives
· Commitment to development of self and others