Chief Information Officer
Tokio Marine HCC - Public Risk Group, a member of the Tokio Marine group of companies, is a market leader in providing specialized insurance products for municipal entities. We cover counties, cities, townships, villages, police department, prisons, fire departments and more. We serve the growing insurance and risk management needs of medium and large governmental entities and provide property and casualty insurance coverages in multiple states.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Chief Information Officer (CIO) to lead our technology and information management functions within our insurance company. As a critical member of our executive team, the CIO will define and deliver IT strategy and capabilities across the enterprise. This includes data analytics and business intelligence, development and support, and technical services. This role directly reports to the President of Public Risk Group & EPIC and indirectly to the Group CIO and is responsible for giving oversight and direction to IT and business leaders on strategy, standards, and opportunities for shared services and economies of scale. The CIO serves as a key contributor to the company's strategy and planning process and will be responsible both for IT operations and for technology and digital innovation. This role builds strong and productive relationships with all business unit leaders, acting as a true partner and making IT a business enabler.
- As a member of the senior management team, make a key contribution to the formulation of the company's business and digital strategies.
- Proactively advise the senior management team on the emerging technologies and digital trends that are most relevant to the company's goals and evolving needs.
- Help determine capital investment parameters, priorities and risks for enterprise-wide IT initiatives to maximize the return on investment.
- Develop an IT vision, strategy, and a roadmap, and lead the IT team and its business partners in effective execution.
- Ensure, on an ongoing basis, that current and planned technical architecture, investments and solutions are aligned with company business objectives.
- Replacing antiquated systems with modern technologies.
- Prepare and monitor IT operational budgets that meet prevailing objectives and constraints.
- Build strong relationships with business groups and their leaders across the enterprise, and develop a detailed understanding of their issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Implement the most appropriate and effective IT organizational design to support and engage with the business.
- Ensure transparency and collaboration between the IT organization and its business partners.
- Hire, develop, evaluate, reward, and retain a highly-qualified team of IT professionals.
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency and accountability in IT.
- Ensure that the organization has strong systems analysis and project management skills, and the ability to execute business-critical projects.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the most critical IT management positions.
- Collaborate with Tokio Marine HCC (TMHCC) corporate IT on the design, planning, implementation, and maintenance of the computing infrastructure that supports the company's operations and business applications.
- Establish metrics for managing IT effectiveness and for measuring the impact of IT on the business.
- Establish appropriate service levels and the processes to ensure that KPIs are met.
- Maintain oversight of all IT projects, ensuring that commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored and reported.
- Establish and enforce IT policies, processes, portfolio management, development standards and methodologies.
- Monitor the industry for developments in IT operations; evaluate and implement relevant new tools and service management frameworks.
- Review, recommend, and oversee all vendors and managed service agreements for IT services.
- Determine cost saving opportunities and implement pricing optimization strategies during the contract negotiation process.
- Ensure Division-level compliance with all external and internal (i.e., TMHCC Corporate) policies, laws, and controls including, but not limited to, Sarbanes Oxley Section 404 (SOX) compliance, security and ERM policies, records management and retention policies, etc.
- Liaise as needed with TMHCC Corporate IT to ensure alignment with corporate objectives and standards, and adequacy of shared corporate services.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.
- Minimum twelve (12) years of relevant and progressive experience in IT leadership roles.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience with Policy Admin / Underwriting / Claims / Aggregation systems.
- Working knowledge of Unqork, Infinity, ImageRight, RSX, PowerBI, and TFS is highly preferred.
- Experience in the P&C insurance industry is required.
- Can create a clear strategic vision for information technology that supports business objectives and can execute on that vision.
- Able to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate an IT vision and strategy across all levels of the organization, and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire and motivate a high performing IT team that values transparency and accountability.
- Possesses exceptional business acumen, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent negotiating skills with internal customers and external service providers.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- A team player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Proven ability to build trust with others through a commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards.
- A high energy executive; tenacious and passionate about reaching the goal, while keeping ego in check.
- Demonstrated experience driving digital transformation and business growth through innovation and the implementation of technology.
- Possesses solid knowledge in emerging technologies, and the ability to apply these in the service of the company's key business goals.
- Experience leading complex, major change initiatives; demonstrated skills in change management.
- Experience building an enterprise level data analytics capability.
- An entrepreneurial mindset; able and interested to pursue new business opportunities.
- Customer-service oriented.
- Builder of strong technology vendor partnerships, and able to manage multiple vendor relationships to ensure the best performance and financial return.
- Knowledge of a range of vendor technology solutions; able to select and integrate the most appropriate technologies to support the business.
- Outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, high-pressure environment.
- A strong background in IT budget development
Regular travel (up to 25% of time)
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offer a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.