Commercial Underwriter - London
Job Title: Commercial Underwriter
Reporting to: Director of Credit
Location: City of London
Hours: 35 per week (3 days in the office, 2 days working from home)
Why Tokio Marine HCC?
Standing still is not an option in the current world of Insurance. TMHCC are one of the world’s leading Specialty Insurers. With deep expertise in our chosen lines of business, our unparalleled track record and a solid balance sheet, TMHCC evaluates and manages risk like no one else in the industry. Looking beyond profit, empowering our people and delivering on our commitments are at the core of our customer values, and so is a desire to grow and provide creative and innovative solutions to our clients.
Underwriting credit insurance policies for all industry sectors including construction. Underwriting of performance bonds for the construction and other industries.
- Managing the specialist broker channel within the SME portfolio.
- Assessing, pricing and structuring new business opportunities
- Working as a New Business team to achieve an annual new business premium target
- Assisting in the overall portfolio profitability targets by binding profitable and renewable business
- Building and maintaining relationships with specialist and general brokers; working proactively to identify opportunities
- Undertaking varied Marketing activities to highlight the Credit brand, demonstrate core strengths, and drive new business opportunities
- Working with and providing appropriate training and support to technical and administrative staff colleagues
- Assisting the Underwriting Director, Credit as required
- Assessing, pricing and structuring new business opportunities; using varied assessment tools, including claims ratio calculations, excess calculations, and a pricing model.
- Discussing terms with brokers; presenting and negotiating terms with brokers to secure policy recommendations
- Working and meeting with brokers regularly to proactively develop opportunities outside of renewal submissions, both existing insured and uninsured opportunities
- Working within allocated authority levels, based on skills and experience and referring upwards beyond these levels to secure agreement within the company’s authorisations
- Attending new business presentations and pitches, highlighting the Credit business strengths and USPs and tailoring to specific opportunities
- Liaison with and training of internal team of technical and administrative support colleagues
- Maintaining accurate records of meetings and correspondence including action points and ensuring all actions are promptly followed up
- Respond to internal queries
- Liaison with Risk Underwriting, CRD and Claims Departments, providing regular market feedback received across all areas
- Assisting with departmental specification for IT developments including assisting with testing and training of departmental staff
Skills and Experience Specification:
- Credit Underwriting experience
- Presentation and Negotiation skills
- Excellent customer service and telephone skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Educated to A level standard or equivalent
- Good IT skills including data input, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Good standard of written English
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience
- Minium 3yrs experience within Credit, with a consistent record of achieving budgets, working successfully with the broking market, and demonstrating decision-making and analysis skills
- ABI / ICM Certificate in Credit Insurance
- CII or ICM qualifications
- Experience of managing a portfolio of credit insurance customers or brokers
- Strong logic / mathematical skills
What We Offer
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking energetic and confident individuals to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.