Are you looking to get your foot in the door at a leading specialty insurance company? Tokio Marine HCC - Casualty Group, a member of the Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies has an exciting opportunity for an Artisan Underwriter. The position will be based in Sacramento, CA. This is a great opportunity to start in an insurance industry from the ground up. In the first year, you will have a good foundation of how the insurance industry operates and specifically how the construction industry works as it relates to insurance.
The Artisan Underwriter reviews proposal requests to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing. Communicates with producers to answer questions, maintain, and develop producer relationships. This position has underwriting authority and business development responsibility. They will work closely with other employees within the Artisan Group.
- Underwriting: 70% of the work will focus on evaluating risks to determine acceptability, coverage and pricing. During the first 60 days, learn the department underwriting procedures from the underwriting manual. Evaluate new and renewal policy applications and related documents to classify and assess each risk, determine acceptability, assign rating, and determine appropriate pricing within state laws and regulations. Approve or deny within given authority or recommend approval or denial to higher authority.
- Communication: 20% of the time will focus on Broker communication. Contact and respond to verbal and written inquiries from brokers within designated timeframe to provide appropriate information and serve as an underwriting resource. Within scope of ability, answer questions, explain decisions, and build productive relationships. Cultivate relationships with internal and external contacts to facilitate the underwriting process, promote business development, and to remain abreast of industry trends.
- Other Duties: 10% of the time assist department in meeting annual company goals for profitability, renewal retention, revenue growth, and new business production. Adhere to all company underwriting authority directives, underwriting guidelines, and other applicable company policies and procedures. Complete on-going educational classes as required by Tokio Marine HCC.
Experience & Education
- The successful candidate ideally will have a minimum of two years of relevant and progressive insurance experience, ideally underwriting, in specialty or related area that includes a working knowledge of state laws
- Preferred experience in Commercial Insurance
- Knows the most effective and efficient methods to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation
- Sound analytical skills, as well as strong decision-making and problem-solving aptitude
- Must be an exceptional communicator and able to make connections externally and internally
- Flexibility and a willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Risk Management, a related field, or the equivalent education and/or experience.
- Studies toward attaining a Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Associate in Commercial Underwriting (AU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Construction Risk Insurance Specialist (CRIS) or equivalent insurance designation depending on specialty area
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- May require some travel
- Overtime hours may be required to fulfill job responsibilities
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offer a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.