Tokio Marine HCC - Public Risk Group, a member of the Tokio Marine group of companies, is a market leader in providing specialized insurance products for municipal entities. We cover counties, cities, townships, villages, police department, prisons, fire departments and more. We serve the growing insurance and risk management needs of medium and large governmental entities and provide property and casualty insurance coverages in multiple states.
Hybrid Work Schedule or Remote
We are looking for an Underwriter who is innovative, can build relationships, and thrives in a fast-paced environment, we have an exciting opportunity for an Underwriter to join our underwriting team. This position will review insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing. Establish, maintain, and develop agency and/or broker relationships.
- Production – Achieve your individual premium and productions targets which include: 1) Management and underwriting of your renewal book, achieving a target renewal retention ratio and servicing your renewals throughout the year. 2) New business premium goals, quote and workflow management targets.
- Marketing & Relationship Development – In this role you will be responsible for marketing our products and to proactively foster and develop positive relationships with key customers.
- Profitability and Compliance – Profitability is a pillar in our corporate objectives, we strongly believe that you will develop a profitable book of business if you are disciplined and consciously operate within your granted underwriting authority, within the parameters of the underwriting guidelines, and follow direction given by compliance.
- Collaboration/Teamwork – As a team we work together to achieve our collective goals, this requires collaborating with your peers on our team and within other aligned business units including Claims, Product Development, Accounting and Operations.
- Underwriting Expertise –We want you to continually develop your underwriting expertise which will be achieved through conscious learning on the job and with support from us. This is an objective that adds value to our team, but it is also important for your personal development.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant and progressive Underwriting experience in public entity or related area that includes a strong working knowledge of state laws.
- Municipal experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Insurance and Risk Management, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, a related field, or the equivalent education and/or experience.
- Preferred studies towards attaining a Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Associate in Commercial Underwriting (AU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) or equivalent insurance designation depending on specialty area.
- Possess and have ability to apply advanced knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures.
- Solid written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates, and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment.
- Intermediate proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word).
- Keen attention to detail.
- Self-motivated personality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Problem solving/analytical skills and approach to business issues.
- Views challenges as opportunities.
Travel up to 15%
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offer a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.