Under supervision, reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing. Establishes, maintains, and develops agency and/or broker relationships. Position has defined underwriting authority and business development responsibility. Provides underwriting in single or multiple areas of liability, property, or special contingency coverage.
- Evaluate new and renewal policy applications and related documents to classify and assess each risk, determine acceptability, assign rating, indicate endorsements and limits, and determine appropriate pricing for accounts within broad and diverse geographical locations.
- Execute high level of customer service by contacting and responding to verbal and written inquiries from brokers within designated timeframe to provide appropriate information and serve as an underwriting resource.
- Proactively verify and seek out additional information and data to help inform risk decisions at a micro and macro level.
- Cultivate relationships with internal and external contacts to facilitate the underwriting process, promote business development, and to remain abreast of industry trends.
- Create and maintain all documentation (physical and electronic) including new and renewal bound files, underwriting worksheets, documentation of phone conversations, and other key documents according to departmental guidelines.
- Adhere to all company underwriting authority directives, underwriting guidelines, and other applicable company policies and procedures.
- Approve or deny within given authority or recommend approval or denial to higher authority.
- Serve as a resource to other departmental staff with regards to underwriting procedures and other departmental guidelines.
- Progressively strengthen policy form comprehension respective to the business unit's own forms as well as to others in the industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, a related field, or the equivalent education and/or experience
- Preferred studies towards attaining a Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Associate in Commercial Underwriting (AU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) or equivalent insurance designation depending on specialty area
- Preferred state-specific insurance license depending on specialty area
- Minimum of two years of relevant and progressive Underwriting experience in specialty or related area that includes a strong working knowledge of state laws.
- Municipal experience a plus.
- Possess and have ability to apply advanced knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Solid written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates, and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Intermediate proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Keen attention to detail.
- Self-motivated personality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Problem solving/analytical skills and approach to business issues.
- Views challenges as opportunities.
- Overtime hours may be required to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Must be able to serve as an administrative support role as departmental needs require.
- May be required to remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- May be required to move up to 10 pounds.
- Must be able to operate a computer and other devices.
- Close vision and ability to adjust focus, such as required to read a computer screen.