Finance Change Portfolio Manager
Job Title: Finance Change Portfolio Manager
Reporting to: Group Head of Finance Change
Direct Reports: None
Position Type: Permanent
Tokio Marine HCC?
Standing still is not an option in the current world of Insurance. TMHCC are one of the world’s leading Specialty Insurers. With deep expertise in our chosen lines of business, our unparalleled track record and a solid balance sheet, TMHCC evaluates and manages risk like no one else in the industry. Looking beyond profit, empowering our people and delivering on our commitments are at the core of our customer values, and so is a desire to grow and provide creative and innovative solutions to our clients.
Finance Change is the Gateway to the rest of International Finance for the Finance support of the broader TMHCC change portfolio.
The Finance Change team provides expertise, management and coordination of the Finance portfolio of change, developing internal proposals into light business cases as well as supporting strategic projects/programmes in line with the Virtual Change Capability guiding principles. Members of the Finance Change team partner with multiple stakeholders (including sponsors of the relevant change), providing support, guidance and delivery, managing impacts and readiness activities to ensure change is smoothly implemented, and that the lasting benefits can be measured and achieved. Change encompasses people, process and system changes.
The Finance Change Portfolio Manager will ensure the effective management of the portfolio of change in which Finance leads or participates. Change will originate in a number of different ways - internally as small change or larger transformation, as an Enterprise Project/Programme, as a Product Model project or as a Corporate project. The Portfolio Manager will have oversight of all key aspects of the project life-cycle such as definition of problem statement, business case development, strategic approach and costing, managing interdependencies, risk and issue tracking and resolution, project delivery, governance, reporting, financial management and resourcing. This includes interacting with multiple stakeholders in the business, to ensure that the programme/portfolio of projects achieves its goals and the benefits are delivered effectively to Finance.
The Finance Change Portfolio Manager will work with the Finance Change and Project Managers and relevant sponsors to define and agree how to deliver outcomes, having accountability for delivery with a focus on the quality of output, within the agreed time and cost constraints
Support the Group Head of Finance Change in:
- Planning and execution of change portfolio
- Maintaining the portfolio view of all projects impacting Finance, by coordinating with all areas of the business initiating change including Product Models, IT Change and Enterprise Change PMO as required
- Provide independent oversight of Finance Change delivery to ensure Finance workstreams are delivering to agreed plans and outcomes
- Developing resourcing requirements and availability for the whole of the Finance Team (Change and BAU) o ensuring project prioritization is aligned with strategy and business benefits against budgets
- Ensuring pipeline activity is effectively initiated to maximise business objectives
- Forward planning of programme tasks and project and business resources to ensure availability of the necessary skills and capability at the required time.
- Working closely with Enterprise Change PMO, embed project management best practices and reporting tools including setting up overall project structure, governance structure, project plans, requirements documents and project updates
- Represent Group Head of Finance Change in agreed forums, when required
- Provide overall management of the portfolio, dealing with the challenges of matrix management and the need to bring together people from various teams o Take responsibility leading by example and stand by those teams delivering the portfolio and the decisions made. Take considered and timely decisions.
- Demonstrate innovation and always look for ways to improve things for the team, setting ongoing personal development goals.
- Prioritise stakeholder management and engagement
- Continue to instil a culture of continuous improvement and ‘end to end process’ thinking
- Support the interaction with multiple stakeholders across TMHCC to ensure that all matters are considered, and the impacts and processes are fully understood
- Provide reports to the management team and senior stakeholders on programme status as required ensuring that all initiatives are reported on regularly, comprehensively and accurately promoting excellent visibility and understanding of project & programme status.
- Present findings in a meaningful and effective manner utilising visualisations as appropriate to help in telling the story of the findings. Assist in embedding these skills across the wider Finance team.
- Ensure programme risks, issues and dependencies are managed effectively and escalated in a timely manner if required.
- Ensure effective communication channels exist between Finance and other teams in TMHCC
- Work collaboratively with all members of the team to ensure that they are engaged and informed as necessary. Ensure effective relationships are built and maintained with peers and their teams, to add value to the organisation.
- Assist facilitation of relationships within Finance across teams and geographic locations Commented [CC1]: This is a project management activity 3
- Assist facilitation of relationships with teams outside of Finance – in particular, IT, Architecture, Data Governance, Underwriting, Actuarial, Product Teams and others as required.
- Stay abreast of changes or other influences within the business that could impact the delivery of Programmes, projects and initiatives
Skills and Experience Specification:
- Demonstrable experience within a similar organisation of portfolio definition and development, understanding business priorities, supporting business change and managing successful business partnerships.
- In-depth understanding of the London Insurance Market from both a Lloyd’s and Company Market perspective as well as Specialty business
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, with credibility at senior management level, managing complex relationships across an organisation.
- Strong leadership experience, including the ability to create and implement a shared vision and delivery of outcomes
- Confident in the detail as well as direction setting and leading organisational change
- Track record in shaping a team to delivery highly skilled and credible Portfolio Management Office
- Expert knowledge of the project, programme and change management lifecycle and the key stages within it, using standard project delivery frameworks.
- Understanding and proven management of financial budgeting, forecasting & analysis
- Demonstrable appreciation of large scale, complex operations in fast paced organisations
- Strong people leadership skills - important coaching role in passing on expertise to a wider team; driving development of talent; providing direction and guidance; experience of matrix management of people working across different functions
- Strong customer focus: collegiate and political awareness, to be able to understand and work through conflicting requirements
- Able to challenge stakeholders on both business and technical issues, whilst maintaining excellent relationships
- Experience of multiplatform/multi-currency global business, preferably in the London insurance market
- Willing to challenge assumptions and the status quo
- Finance qualifications
- A recognised Portfolio Management qualification e,g. MoP qualification
- Experience of creating and embedding a new role
- Experience in Prince2 or APM methodology (PMBoK)
- Strong MS Office skills - specifically Excel, Project, PowerPoint and Word
- Assertive but sensitive to conflicting demands on others
- Professional approach and delivery of work product
- Energy, enthusiasm, persistence and adaptability
- Strong people and communication skills – ability to engage with staff at all levels and to build strong working relationships that enable them to influence and deliver results
What We Offer
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking energetic and confident individuals to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.