Why TM HCC ?
Standing still is not an option in the current world of Insurance. TMHCC are one of the world’s leading Speciality Insurers. With deep expertise in our chosen lines of business, our unparalleled track record and a solid balance sheet, Tokio Marine HCC evaluates and manages risk like no one else in the industry. Looking beyond profit, empowering our people and delivering on our commitments are at the core of our customer values, and so is a desire to grow and provide creative and innovative solutions to our clients. We have doubled our gross written premiums in the past 3 year and our plan to do so again in the next 3 years. To support this desire, we need to be forward-thinking and innovative in every respect. That means continually improving our customer-focused business, it means providing system, solutions and technology to enable seamless growth and business innovation, and it means having the best people capability to apply to these challenges.
Part of our evolution involves growing our team, and bringing in a range of views, perspectives and backgrounds that will allow us to deliver this forward-looking culture. That relies upon open and trusting relationships, and a shared vision for that continual improvement. We aspire to build an environment where new perspectives are encouraged, where resilience, fresh ideas and different opinions are valued.
About the Opportunity
At TMHCC we believe Architecture is at the heart of what we do. Without a clear framework, vision and roadmap for our future we are in danger of not optimising the strengths of our company and its people. Architecture for us is not purely about technology, it is central to the delivery of the TM HCC business agenda. Our delivery capabilities within the architecture domain, including Business, Technology, Data and Infrastructure architecture, are critical to assuring delivery certainty of our ambitious business plans over the coming years.
The Enterprise Architect is a senior and pivotal role, vital to enabling TMHCC to define, frame and realise our business ambitions.
You will work with senior business stakeholders, Business and Domain Architects, and solution architects to oversee the complete end to end architecture for projects and larger programmes of work, delivering and maintaining a roadmap of transitions that lead to the target state business and technology designs. You will be a key member of the team responsible for creating and maintaining the roadmap and identifying opportunities and risks to it from project delivery.
In addition to your technical and architectural acumen, you will develop a deep understanding of all of our business lines, using your knowledge and experience to support business decision makers with advice and guidance as required.
You will provide vital role within project oversight to balance their delivery requirements and scope, with the strategic direction and opportunities to deliver target architecture, by Influencing and if necessary, escalating to the Chief Architect.
Job Purpose & Key Objectives:
- Combine technical expertise with communication skills to articulate the end to end architecture to all stakeholders.
- Support projects and programmes throughout discovery, design and oversee delivery with broader understanding of the wider portfolio demand and impacts.
- Developing and evolving the E2E architecture roadmaps both in and across the product lines with alignment to associated principles and patterns for the product space and the enterprise.
- Supporting governance and assurance across product lines to ensure design alignment with strategy and an optimal business outcome.
- Development of the E2E architecture within business lines and central functions, aligned with line of Business requirements, the broader Enterprise Architecture and business strategy.
- Ensure the needs, requirements and outcomes of the product and business line are understood, represented in the E2E framework.
- Proactively collaborate with key business stakeholders to develop and evolve the E2E capability.
- Support strategic decision making within programme and project through the development of impact assessments covering the technical and business change, investment envelope and benefit opportunity
- Work with the Architecture and Design community to ensure that the needs of E2E architecture are reflected in the architectures of cross-functional domains (e.g. data & information, integration, security, infrastructure)
- Ensure that architectural standards, best-practices, patterns, and non-functional considerations are applied.
- Be the voice of reason to balance speed & agility with quality & reliability underpinning longer term commercial outcomes rather than short term expediency across all business distribution.
- Manage exceptions and waivers to architecture standards and plans where required for commercial expediency ensuring there is a longer-term plan and agreement of where and how to address the technical debt.
- Work with the wider architecture community to refine standards, develop patterns, and other architectural artefacts that help guide the implementation of the target state.
- Engage with, and manage relationships with, technology vendors to ensure the optimal outcome for TMHCC
Key Skills and Experience
- Experience of understanding a modern business needs in terms of product distribution channels in a digital world.
- Demonstrable business acumen in addition to technology skills.
- Experience of insurance markets, finance and large technology transformation.
- Skilled at structured problem solving, not intimidated by large and complex problems, but able to analyse, breaking them down and solving piece by piece while keeping sight of the overall ‘big picture’. Ultimately being able to communicate rationally to non-technical stakeholders the path to the solution
- TOGAF9.x certification an advantage
- Experience of architecting solutions in collaboration with self-organising agile teams not under direct line management.
- Familiarity with a variety of Agile delivery frameworks e.g., Scrum, Kanban, DSDM
- Experience in modern service based, cloud first Insurance organisations.