Principal Engineer – Semiconductor Process
Xperi invents, develops and delivers technologies that enable extraordinary experiences. We make entertainment more entertaining, and smart devices smarter.
From the home to the car to everywhere in between, managing content and connections in a way that is smart, immersive, and personal is precisely what Xperi’s technologies do.
Our inventions are foundational to the global entertainment ecosystem and our products and data improve every aspect of the digital entertainment experience, from choice to consumption.
Content markets are changing, fast. Consumers face a simultaneously expanding and fragmenting set of choices. Xperi technology cuts through the chaos, putting us at the forefront of fast-moving trends in streaming, digital entertainment, and AI applications – in any environment.
Xperi is at the heart of extraordinary experiences.
We can’t wait to show you what’s next.
The ideal candidate will have deep and broad knowledge of semiconductor device fabrication and processes. He/She will be responsible for evaluating wide array of semiconductor technologies, processes and devices, perform semiconductor patent landscape by companies, claim chart construction, and generate evidence of use documentation. This position will report into the IP engineering division within Semiconductor IP licensing organization of Xperi
- Support technology research and evaluation, patent prosecution, patent mining, global licensing and patent assertion management for Xperi’s Semiconductor IP business
- Regularly track technical roadmaps and latest technology trends in broader semiconductor market
- Deep dive in key growth areas in the semiconductor market, identify key players, identify technical solutions and offerings and product portfolio
- Work closely with patent acquisition, patent assertion and patent prosecution teams
- Perform patent landscape by technologies and companies, identify patent choke points
- Perform extensive patent searches, identify key claims, read and construct claim charts and follow prosecution file history
- Generate evidence of use documentation for patent claims being used in actual products
- Work with internal discovery engineering team, and outside labs to perform analysis required for evidence of use documentation.
- Present technical documentation to the management, in-house attorneys and outside counsel
- Generate intellectual properties in related fields
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in semiconductor process development or process integration
- Hands-on-experience in and extensive knowledge of a variety of semiconductor device fabrication processes including logic and/or memory devices.
- Extensive knowledge or direct experience in finer node fabrication in leading edge DRAM, NAND or logic would be a big plus along with a deep understanding of the physics of materials
- Recent experience in working with front end or back end processes and materials; recent experience in working in process development or integration role in a foundry would be useful
- Process experience related to EUV lithography, hard mask processing, atomic layer processing (etching/deposition/cleaning), area selective deposition/etching, selective epitaxial growth, interconnect (including contacts, damascene, barriers, materials and deposition), high aspect ratio etching/deposition/cleaning, self-aligned multiple patterning, etc. would be beneficial
- Previous experience in reading patents, understanding claims, follow prosecution file history would be useful, but not a must
- Able to learn new skills and tasks quickly and adapt to our dynamic environment
- Capable of working on a cross-functional team; exhibits good written and verbal communication skills
- B.S. or M.S. in materials science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related fields. PhD preferred