About The Institutes
A not-for-profit organization located in beautiful Malvern, PA, The Institutes have been the leading provider of risk management and property-casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. By living our values—Put the Customer First, Do What You Say, Work Together, Be Innovative and Do the Right Thing— our talented team delivers innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. In 2022, The Institutes were named a Top Workplace by Philly.com for the seventh time. We understand the importance of work-life balance and provide excellent benefits and a friendly and team-focused work environment to drive employee engagement.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Editor to join our Risk & Insurance Group team! In this role, you’ll be responsible for developing, writing and editing content for Risk & Insurance’s digital and print magazines and its social media channels and newsletters. If you’ve got an eye for detail and are looking to join a culture-driven team, we would love to meet you!
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for writing and editing content both on the Risk & Insurance website and in the print magazine. On average, research, report and write between 2-4 digital stories each week and 1-2 print stories per print issue. In addition to editing any stories submitted by freelancers or by fellow staff members for the web and for print.
- Create and manage the edit outline for each of Risk & Insurance’s six print issues.
- Aid the editor-in-chief with various print needs, such as cover suggestions, proofing reading the final version of the magazine, etc.
- Support Risk & Insurance’s video projects as needed by participating in a short video series with the digital producer.
- Write and edit headlines and subject lines for all of Risk & Insurance’s editorial content for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) using R&I’s headline approach.
- Responsible for preparing Risk & Insurance’s weekly Workers’ Comp Forum newsletter each week and the 5 Things newsletter as needed.
- Update the Homepage and Editor’s Picks sections on Risk & Insurance’s website.
- Read and evaluate applications and call references for the Power Broker awards.
- Aid the conference editorial team in selecting sessions for RIG’s two conferences: ErgoExpo and National Comp through reading secession proposals. Create and manage editorial calendar so that Risk &Insurance’s print and digital content aligns with RIG’s two conferences: ErgoExpo and National Comp through reading secession proposals.
- Attend industry conferences including National Comp and RIMS and provide live editorial coverage.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, business, English or a related field.
- 2-3 years’ experience in media, journalism or B2B writing.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word.
- A knowledge of the risk management, workers’ compensation and insurance industries is preferred.
- Strong proof-reading and editing skills.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices.
- Previous experience using Wordpress, InDesign, Photoshop, Trello and Dropbox in a professional setting.
The Best Part? The Benefits!
To enforce the importance of work-life balance, employees enjoy excellent benefits, including:
- 401(k) plan with company contribution up to 16%
- Generous time off package that includes paid vacation, personal, sick and holidays
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
Role is hybrid with at least two days each week in the office. Candidates should be able to commute to Blue Bell, PA at least two days per week.