Lead Web Developer
About The Institutes
A not-for-profit organization located in beautiful Malvern, PA, The Institutes have been the leading provider of risk management and property-casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. By living our values—Put the Customer First, Do What You Say, Work Together, Be Innovative and Do the Right Thing—our talented team partners with our customers to deliver innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. The Institutes was named a Top Workplace by Philly.com for 2019, for the fifth time. We understand the importance of work-life balance and provide excellent benefits and a friendly and team-focused work environment to drive employee engagement.
Lead Web Developer
The Institutes, a not-for-profit organization, is the leading provider of risk management and property casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. With revenue of over $42m/year, we are operating a vibrant online education business with over 300,000 customers. We are seeking a Lead Web Developer to lead a small team of developers and testers in our Agile/Scrum environment. The Lead Web Developer is proficient at technical-requirements analysis, software development, debugging, testing, DevOps, and release management of a complete system application.
* Provides senior developer leadership and guidance to development teams in support of TI strategic and tactical projects.
* Actively supports backlog grooming and sprint planning. Uses knowledge of the business to identify relationships between tasks and projects to help prioritize tickets for team.
* Assists Service Desk with in-depth troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
* Makes application design decisions that are user-focused and consistent with architectural principles.
* Conforms to coding standards. Follows approved style guides.
* Looks for ways to write smart and reusable code, reducing overhead, application bloat and technical debt.
* Develops/maintains, tests, and implements software applications with little to no supervision and helps others within the team.
* Provides consistent and appropriate feedback during code reviews. Makes sure the solution meets the requirements and user story objectives.
* Develops user documentation and training materials, in business language, and provides user training for the applications as needed.
* Champions team members in all sprint activities to organize, manage and improve their own work.
* Creates proof-of-concept and foundational software components that teams can build upon when developing application features.
* Ensures that DevOps processes and artifacts are up to date and can support the team development pipeline.
* Code Captain. Consistently and effectively promotes code to production. Directs developers as needed to resolve merge conflicts and other release management process issues.
* Participate in onboarding and training new staff.
Education and Experience
* Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer systems design or computer science
* Knowledge of full SDLC and five plus years of computer programming experience
* Two to four years leading software implementations
* Knowledge of popular php frameworks a plus, such as Laravel, Symfony, Zend Framework a plus
* Knowledge of popular front end frameworks a plus, such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Angular, ReactJS, Meteor.js, Ember.js a plus
* Knowledge of preprocessors a plus
* Knowledge of code management and tracking best practices is required. Skillshet should include Git, JIRA, BitBucket (or other code repo tool)
* Experience working effectively in either a Windows or Linux environment required
* Experience with DevOps tools and processes, such as Salt, Ansible, Python a plus
The Best Part? The Benefits.
To enforce the importance of work-life balance, employees enjoy excellent benefits, including:
* Free breakfast and lunch every day!
* 401(k) plan with company contribution up to 16%
* Generous time off package that includes paid vacation, personal, sick and holidays
* Paid maternity and parental leave
* Tuition reimbursement
* Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
* Free on-site fitness center
*** Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.