Vice President of Sales
About The Institutes
A not-for-profit organization located in beautiful Malvern, PA, The Institutes have been the leading provider of risk management and property-casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. By living our values—Put the Customer First, Do What You Say, Work Together, Be Innovative and Do the Right Thing— our talented team delivers innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. In 2019, The Institutes was named a Top Workplace by Philly.com for the fifth time. We understand the importance of work-life balance and provide excellent benefits and a friendly and team-focused work environment to drive employee engagement.
Vice President of SalesThe Institutes are committed to providing customer-first and innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. As the industry’s trusted knowledge leader, we provide a comprehensive range of professional development solutions that our customers engage throughout all stages of their careers. With our continued focus on putting the customer first, The Institutes must have a top-tier sales organization to create and maintain effective partnerships with our customers. The Vice President of Sales (VP) will be tasked with creating and leading this organization so that the function becomes an indispensable core competency of The Institutes. Partnering with the Chief Customer Officer, this role will collaborate in transforming sales into a strategic capability.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Strategic Planning – Establishes long-term strategic direction and growth platforms that align with customer and student insights. Aligns sales direction with strategic priorities and capabilities of business unit. Demonstrates how the sales function is a revenue driver
- Commercialization and Execution – Translates the sales strategic plan into a clear annual operational plan that includes deadlines, key performance indicators, and roles and responsibilities in support of superior in-market execution of sales programs
- Virtual and In-person Selling – Models a progressive approach to engaging customers through a range of increasingly digital platforms such as Teams, Zoom, and Skype. Builds a compelling sales communication toolkit including digital collateral and demonstrations of Institutes learning solutions. Discerns when in-person interaction is most critical and cost-effective to advance strategic goals
- Customer Segmentation and Partnerships – Analyzes which accounts warrant investment, coverage, or divestment based on ROI criteria. Establishes account targets and sales metrics accordingly. Identifies strategic growth accounts and builds effective partnerships across the Csuite, line of business management, and within the Learning and Development department
- Sales Team Organization and Compensation – Aligns sales team account assignment according to the strategic goals of the business unit. Ensures talent and investment are focused on growth segments. Designs and implements sales bonus and compensation models that keep the staff motivated and rewarded for meeting or exceeding established revenue metrics
- Account Support Team Management – Aligns the structure and focus of the account support team to key opportunity segments. Builds an outbound call plan to allow field executives to cover major customers while the Account Team covers opportunistic account groups. Aligns Account Team operations with the Customer Service department in support of a unified approach to customers
- Voice of the Customer and Competition – Ensures that relevant insights, trends, and needs of the customer are accounted for in annual strategic plans. Possesses the ability to align B2B and B2C initiatives
- Collaboration – Models a positive work ethic and partnership with cross-functional teams. Values information sharing across internal teams to build a shared vision
- Account Administration – Builds accurate and timely management process for invoicing, Learning Management System integration, learning material transfer, and exam execution
- Sales analytics and reporting – Ensures the sales department demonstrates objective and factbased assessments of account performance. Builds a process of routine reporting to keep crossfunctional partners apprised of progress against key metrics
- Leadership and Coaching – Builds a highly effective and engaged sales organization. Sets a positive example and comfortably manages difficult conversations when performance gaps are identified as well as rewarding and recognizing desired behaviors and results
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree required
- 5 years sales management experience required
- Major Institutes Designation preferred (CPCU, ARM, AINS, AIC)
- 10 years multi-disciplinary experience in insurance or risk management industry preferred
- Must thrive in a work-from-home mode and have strong competence with remote selling and communication platforms (Teams, Skype, Zoom, etc.)
- Must be willing to travel
The Best Part? The Benefits!
To enforce the importance of work-life balance, employees enjoy excellent benefits, including:
- Onsite Cafeteria in Malvern - free breakfast and lunch every day!
- 401(k) plan with company contribution up to 16%
- Generous time off package that includes paid vacation, personal, sick and holidays
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
- Free on-site fitness center
- A beautiful 1.25 mile-long walking path!
The role is remote currently, and for the near future.