Senior Performance Engineer (SRE/DevOps)
Senior Performance Engineer (SRE/DevOps)
Do you dream of making proactive performance improvements in production environments using your data analysis, profiling, and software tools expertise? Do you enjoy enabling engineering teams to observe how their code and services are performing so they can easily optimize the experience for the end-user? Do you pride yourself on tools that can help triage and pinpoint root causes of problems in seconds, not hours or days? Have you developed seamless dashboards that convey meaningful business data, software readiness, and service/system health to executives but also support drill down technical analysis for Tier 1-3 support and engineers? If your daily vocabulary consists of terms like utilization, response time, throughput, latency, relative, absolute, variance, instrumentation, parallel, asynchronous, utilization, bottleneck, tracing, resource contention, and MTTR then Climate is the place for you.
Climate has a unique value proposition over other companies - our engineering organization wants guidance from Performance Engineering experts, giving them the freedom to specify and utilize the best of breed tools and best practices. You won’t spend your time testing with synthetic workloads overcoming skepticism; you’ll be working directly on production without the stress of daily firefighting. Your measure of success is site performance and “HApdex”, a term we coined for transaction performance and engineering / customer happiness - how about that?
As a Lead Performance Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to architect and augment world-class software to monitor and manage our production systems. Our team’s vision is to enable Continuous Improvement for the engineering organization, where software engineers can use deep operational insight to optimize their services and provide more value to customers. We are building a state of the art Observability solution to process terabytes of operational and engineering data, providing engineers with deep insight into the services they own. We work closely with cloud infrastructure and application engineering teams and thrive on operating a large, complex and secure microservices environment.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Utilize New Relic / Splunk and other tools to proactively identify, triage, and root cause performance issues in production systems
- Assist engineering service owners with debugging issues to the line of code where possible
- Develop tools, dashboards, alerts, and training that quickly arm developers with deeper insights into application performance and service health issues reducing their MTTR and MTTA for Live Site Issues.
- Create reference dashboards and alerts for overall service health and help service teams build their own service dashboards with relevant metrics
- Continuously improve observability tools by actively participating in Correction of Error reviews, collaborating with engineering leadership to identify and resolve visibility gaps
- Present core service performance metrics/health in operational meetings and discuss ongoing efforts to further improve system utilization and HApdex
- 5+ years of software development (e.g. Java)
- 4+ years of experience in building automation tools in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to analyze varying stakeholder concerns, proactively leading diverse groups to address concerns and build consensus
- Able to mentor junior developers
- Expert ability to analyze/interpret technical data
- Expert ability to identify/resolve system bottlenecks
- Expert understanding of throughput, latency, memory, CPU Utilization
- Strong working knowledge of Amazon Web Services, specifically Infrastructure
- Strong working knowledge of microservices, containerization/Docker and orchestration/Kubernetes
- 5+ years in Performance Engineering or equivalent SRE or DevOps role
- Expert knowledge of leading APM tools (e.g. New Relic, AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Splunk)
- Knowledge of mobile (Android / iOS) and web performance instrumentation and analysis
- Experience with SQL / query plan analysis/tuning, contention/locking analysis
- Proven ability to collaborate with Technical Program Managers and Architects on the design and development and rollout of highly technical observability initiatives
- Knowledge of front end development, graphing/dashboarding packages (e.g. React JS)
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.