Intern: Software Engineer (Summer 2023)
At Climate, our mission is to use technologies to enhance the sustainability and security of our global food value chain. Using field-verified data science models, Climate is shaping the future of sustainable agriculture across 180 million acres worldwide and counting. As the digital farming arm of Bayer Crop Science, we have the benefits and resources of an established organization while offering employees the opportunity to deliver significant individual impact alongside some of the brightest minds in life sciences.
Grounded in our vision, ‘Health for all, Hunger for none’, our diverse team spends their days solving the world's most pressing challenges through sheer curiosity and dedication. In our learning-oriented and flexible environment, you can find us collaborating in a hybrid model that mixes on-site and remote work.
Our LIFE values—leadership, integrity, flexibility, and efficiency—and our unique focus on health and nutrition demand that we create value for all stakeholders—today, tomorrow, and for generations to come. If you’re hungry to build a meaningful career helping empower farmers with sustainable digital farming systems, keep reading!
The Climate Corporation is looking for talented and motivated Computer Science or Engineering students with solid CS and Programming fundamentals for several of our engineering teams. Our software helps farmers around the world protect and improve their farming operations with uniquely powerful software and hardware products. You will work as a Software Engineering intern on a team in one of several areas. As a Software Engineering intern, you will be responsible for designing, building, testing and deploying new products and services in a fast-paced, iterative development environment.
What You'll Do:
- Back-end/Platform Services - Large-scale distributed services for applications and data management. We use a mix of Java, Ruby on Rails, Python and Clojure code. You will work primarily on the back-end services that power our web and mobile applications. These cloud based services are built on AWS infrastructure and are designed for 7x24 operation, with manageability, availability, reliability and scalability in mind.
- Mobile - Phone and Tablet application development for both the iOS and Android platforms. The applications complement our Web Applications by providing unique mobile device specific capabilities and core functionality to improve farming and insurance operations.
- Science - Large-scale distributed data services for scientific computing (we use Clojure)
- Data Analytics- we work with big-data, and invest considerably in our analytics capabilities. You will work with Hadoop/Map Reduce, RDBMS and data visualization tools
What You'll Need
- Enrolled in a degreed program in a technical or STEM related field during the duration of the internship program
- Knowledge of an object oriented programming language
- Knowledge of software engineering or server-side Internet technologies
Nice to Haves
- Intellectual drive to learn anything
- Great debugging and reasoning skills
- Stellar academic record or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with command-line tools on a Unix shell
- A desire to work on hard problems
What We Offer:
Our environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with a diverse set of top engineers, data scientists, agronomists, and statisticians working together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
- We offer competitive pay and perks.
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks and drinks to get you through the day
- You’ll get 1:1 mentoring from a talented and motivated employee on your team
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on real projects with experienced employees and have a direct impact on the company (Our internships are not summer camp!)
- You’ll work in an award winning office with smart designs, large common areas and open floor plans that fuel collaboration.
- You’ll attend various company sponsored events, activities and off-sites - we make sure interns are having fun!
- We regularly host meet-up groups and tech-talks and encourage participation in relevant workshops
- You’ll have the opportunity to interact with key executives and leadership
- Pay Transparency: The base pay range for this position is: $30 - $50/hour based on location and degree level.
Belonging and Accommodations
At Climate, we strive to create inclusive experiences for candidates and employees alike in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented. If this role sounds exciting to you but your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This means we actively pursue ways to celebrate our differences and don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at [email protected].
Learn more about our team and mission: https://climate.com/careers