Principal Data Infrastructure Architect
Have you architected world-class data platforms? Are you ready to design the data structures that will define digital agriculture for the world? Do you have a deep background in software engineering, data engineering and data science? Do you want to work at a company where data is at the core of the product? We have your dream job.
The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with a Digital Farming Platform and AI that help the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. We are collecting massive amounts of agronomic data in one of the largest heterogeneous global data footprints and need to continuously improve how we store, connect and distribute this data in a fast, reliable and cost-effective way. This is where your work impacts the world in a positive way.
The Principal Data Infrastructure Architect works to define an extremely complex domain of data and data access patterns. The right candidate will have a track record of delivering highly complex engineering architectures focused on data platforms and pipelines.
What You Will Do:
- Lead technical and architectural direction of our data infrastructure capabilities.
- Partner with other architects and engineering leadership to collaborate, design and validate appropriate engineering solutions and proof of concepts
- Create architectural design documents and define the technical vision for the team by creating long-term strategic road maps and phased plans that mature the data architecture over several years
- Create short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and migrate data from sub-optimized legacy systems to new solutions. Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement
- Collaborate with the Enterprise Data Modeler to design and mentor engineering teams with optimized models that enforce data quality while balancing optimized access patterns
- Collaborate with architects to design optimized models for data quality while balancing optimized access patterns
- Design and document data models, taxonomies, ontologies, dictionaries, catalogs and lineage
- Promote data governance, quality and security across the enterprise
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Deep understanding of databases, big data technology and software architecture, optimizations and trade offs
- Experience in AWS cloud technologies and cloud-optimized data and software architectures
- Expertise in conceptual and logical data models and their physical implementation
- Experience programming in Java, Python or an equivalent OOP programming language
- Experience in AWS cloud technologies such as RDS, DynamoDB, and S3
- Experience with open source Big Data software like Kafka, Spark, HDFS, Flink, Cassandra, Druid, Ignite, etc.
- Successful track record of democratizing proper data modeling and governance in a large organization
- Successful implementation of a large data platform over multiple years involving multiple domains and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to find the optimal level of abstraction to balance flexibility and comprehension
- Deep experience in dimensional and 3NF data model design
- API design using OpenAPI and AsyncAPI
- Experience modeling data structures for document, column family and graph databases
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.