Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Remote Sensing / Raster Pipelines)
The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with a platform and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. As the industry leader, we’re working to ensure we’re the most connected platform in Agriculture. Through our partnerships, farmers can exchange data between the Climate FieldView™ platform and our partner connected solutions in just minutes.
We have an opportunity for a Staff Engineer position in our Geospatial Algorithms Engineering Group to work with a team of highly experienced computer vision and remote sensing software engineers to help us enhance and expand our satellite and drone imagery processing systems. We ingest, archive and process vast amounts of multi-spectral space-borne, air-borne, and unmanned imagery along with vector data that help our customers manage farming activities at a global scale. As a Staff Engineer in our team, you will be tasked with the design and implementation of high-performance satellite image processing systems and the operationalization of remote sensing algorithms. The core of this work is to expand our back-end capabilities and to build out systems to generate on-demand, analysis-ready datasets. Your contributions will help the team deliver high-quality, near-real-time actionable information to our customers and help them make data-driven decisions. If you are passionate about innovation and excited about helping us transform agriculture and develop a platform that helps farmers sustainably increase their productivity,. we would love to talk to you!
What You Will Do:
- Benchmark, analyze, and deploy raster and vector based algorithms built on remotely sensed datasets
- Drive the development of raster processing pipelines with a focus on data provenance, validation, traceability, and error propagation
- Analyze system and product requirements to design optimal and scalable system architectures
- Participate and support the verification and validation of production algorithms
- Document architectural designs, changes, and configuration control processes
- Perform technical risk management and mitigation.
- Coach and mentor junior team members in data-intensive system design.
- Drive collaboration and coordination of across-teams work
- Improve our software engineering processes towards the continuous improvement of reliability, scalability, and maintainability of all our systems
- At least 8 years of demonstrable experience in building highly-reliable production software systems.
- Solid understanding of functional programming, object-oriented design, data structures, complexity analysis, design, verification, and validation techniques.
- Solid understanding of computer science and computer vision fundamentals.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with AWS-based systems in production
- Experience using Scrum best practices in software development projects
- Experience writing reliable and maintainable code in Scala and/or Java
- Experience in operationalizing algorithms at large scale against large data stores
- Experience working with and contributing to the open source software community for geospatial software and analysis
- Excellent leadership skills with high integrity, work ethics, humility, and self-awareness.
- Excellent ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced development environment.
- Passion for computer vision, raster data processing, geospatial engineering, and derivation of information rich data products.
- Experience working with systems processing and manipulating petabytes of imagery data.
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hack-a-thons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org