Engineering Director, Data Infrastructure
Are you a data expert looking to make a difference in the world? Do your teams love designing logical and physical data models and determining the best relational and non-relational strategies to handle complex queries on petabytes of data? Have you solved your organization’s data quality problems with a reference/master data single source of truth and an effective governance process with data stewards? Do your teams tune database indexes, examine query plans, and keep them running smoothly? If so, we want to meet you. We have an opportunity for an Engineering leader to build a team of experienced and talented engineers to lead the overall data architecture of our infrastructure. If you want to own the database design, performance engineering, and operational excellence for Climate and do a world of good in the process, this just might be the leadership opportunity for you.
The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with our platform, capabilities, and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. We are collecting massive amounts of agronomic data in one of the largest heterogeneous global data footprints and need to continuously improve how we store, relate and distribute this data in a fast, reliable and cost-effective way.
What You Will Do:
- Lead Engineering teams responsible for the development of our highly scalable, operable, global, performant, and cost-effective cloud storage footprint
- Manage architectural, project, and organizational complexity across teams and business domains.
- Collaborate and partner across Engineering, Data Analytics, and Science teams to help define, develop, operate, and scale market-leading digital agriculture products built on top of an elegant data infrastructure
- Develop and implement long-term strategic roadmaps and phased plans that mature the data architecture to support both current and future business processes.
- Create and maintain a central Reference Data SSoT that will be used to catalog other reference datasets to ultimately improve data quality at input and ingestion phases
- Define, build, and optimize the standardized schemas for relational and non-relational data; help engineering teams extend and enhance schemas
- Design, promote and deliver highly-scalable, reliable, and performant pipelines to integrate large volumes of complex data, reduce costs and improve information flows
- Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement.
- Create strategies and plans for data security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving.
- Lead engineers that monitor and optimize database performance to ensure optimal response times and efficient storage utilization
- Assess and establish governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization.
- Establish and implement robust, scalable, fault tolerant, performant, and secure software development practices to ensure Climate’s product stability
- Act as an active source of engineering talent and work with recruiting teams to build and scale teams across the organization
- 8+ years of engineering leadership experience and a demonstrated ability to grow and lead a team of engineers
- Prior hands-on development and/or experience building and optimizing production-scale cloud data storage systems
- In-depth understanding of and experience with database structure principles on various platforms (Relational, Columnar, Document, Time Series, Column Family, Graph, etc.)
- Data Quality Concepts (DQ dimensions, tools, pipelines, stewardship)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar field or equivalent work experience
- Strong track record of highly effective collaboration and consensus building skills, working across cross-functional organizations
- Experience and proven ability to deliver successful, world-class, data-based products from concept to scale-up using Agile / Scrum or similar development/management practices
- Experience with AWS storage services EC2, S3, DynamoDB, RDS
- In-depth understanding of and experience with analytical database systems (Redshift, Vertica, Snowflake, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with Enterprise Data Lakes, Reference / Master Data Management, Data Warehouses
- Familiarity with Reference Data / MDM tools (Reltio, Informatica MDM Reference 360, Magnitude MDM, Collibra Data Governance Center)
- Implementation and tuning experience with Big Data Compute (e.g. Spark, AWS EMR )
- Hands-on experience with knowledge of at least one big data programming language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python)
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org