Software Engineer, Backend (Staff Level)
The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with a platform and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. The Data and Analytics team is focused on creating competitive advantage for Climate and our customers through novel data infrastructure, metrics, insights and data services. We are a small but rapidly growing engineering team that builds and leverages state-of-the-art analytics systems. Our work informs decisions and direction for our business, while also impacting our products. Our software engineering team collects, process, transform and analyze vast amounts of clickstream, agronomic and geospatial data. We build the infrastructure to get different datasets from within and outside climate into our data lake and build scalable pipelines that feed data into our data warehouse. If you are a skilled, creative, collaborative software engineer and leader who wants to have a meaningful impact on the world, we would love to engage with you about a role here at The Climate Corporation.
What You Will Do:
- Design and implement REST APIs and data processing pipelines for mobile, web and 3rd party integrations
- Design and implement highly scalable data-intensive processing systems
- Actively participate in the design and code review process across the team.
- Produce high quality code with an emphasis on software craftsmanship.
- Collaborate with product, data scientist, and engineering on the next generation of the industry-leading agriculture platform
- Work with cutting edge open source platforms such as Hadoop, Yarn, Flink, Spark, etc.
- Ensure our codebase is continuously deliverable and deployable.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in computer science or a related field
- Software engineering work experience using a functional or object oriented language (Java, Scala, etc)
- Experience building scalable backend services (REST APIs, microservices, designing and implementing efficient data processing algorithms, messaging paradigms, middleware, persistent store)
- Experience working with distributed platforms such as Hadoop, Flink, Spark, Kafka etc.
- Experience working with AWS or other public Cloud platforms
- Solid knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- At least 10 years experience with deployment in large cloud-based distributed environments
- At least 10 years experience working with distributed platforms such as Hadoop, Flink, Spark, Kafka etc.
- Knowledge of functional programming (Strong Plus)
- Experience with dynamic language (Python) (Desired)
- Experience with compiled JVM language (Java, Scala) (Strong Plus)
- Experience building robust backend services and REST APIs
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases and persistence store
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, RDS, SQS, etc.) (Strong Plus)
- Experience with messaging paradigms and middlewares. (SQS, JMS etc)
- Experience with open source schedulers (Airflow, Oozie etc)
- Experience with AWS or similar distributed architecture
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.