Software Engineer, Backend (Senior)
The Climate Corporation is modernizing the agriculture industry with a platform and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. Our backend software engineering teams collect, process, transform and analyze vast amounts of agronomic and geospatial data. We then work with our science organization to understand how our growers can realize the full potential of their farmable land. Our team takes these insights and builds meaningful products that allow farmers to produce enough food to feed our ever growing population. If you are a skilled, creative, collaborative software engineer and leader who wants to have a meaningful impact on the world, we would love to engage with you about a role here at The Climate Corporation.
What You Will Do:
- Design and implement REST APIs and data processing pipelines for mobile, web and 3rd party integrations
- Design and implement highly scalable data-intensive processing systems
- Design and implement highly scalable microservice-based services
- Implement efficient algorithms and services for diverse and challenging precision agriculture applications
- Actively participate in the design and code review process across the team.
- Produce high quality code with an emphasis on software craftsmanship.
- Ensure our codebase is continuously deliverable and deployable.
- Build your knowledge and contribute your ideas through interactive product design sessions, hackathons, and on-farm opportunities.
- BS in software engineering or information systems related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Software engineering work experience using a functional or object oriented language (Java, Clojure, Scala, etc)
- Experience building scalable backend services (REST APIs, microservices, designing and implementing efficient data processing algorithms, messaging paradigms, middleware, persistent store)
- Experience working with AWS or other public Cloud platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, engineering diagrams, and listening skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Solid knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- Experience building robust backend services and REST APIs
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases and persistence store
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, RDS, SQS, etc.) (Strong Plus)
- Knowledge of functional programming (Strong Plus)
- Experience with compiled JVM language (Java, Scala, Clojure) (Strong Plus)
- Experience with messaging paradigms and middlewares. (SQS, JMS etc)
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]