Weather Data Scientist
Climate, LLC is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with tools that help the world’s farmers sustainably increase their productivity with digital tools and data analytics. We have a unique opportunity for a Weather Data Scientist to join the Weather Science Team developing innovative solutions for integrating weather information into agronomic machine learning models. Our team is focused on data-centric model development, increasing the performance of predictive agronomic models by synergizing our expertise in environmental sciences, statistics, machine learning, agronomy, and software development. In this role, you will collaborate with other teams to combine atmospheric, environmental, and management data using novel modeling frameworks and approaches to optimize the performance of agronomic models.
The ideal candidate is an environmental scientist experienced with feature engineering and incorporating geospatial timeseries into machine learning models. The candidate possesses a strong intuition of the ways in which weather processes impact agriculture and the ways in which weather datasets can represent these processes. They also have the creativity and drive to develop novel solutions to extract the most value from a diverse range of datasets of varying scales, formats, and quality.
What You Will Do:
- Engage with diverse research groups to understand their models and products to develop data-centric solutions.
- Design and generate derived weather features focused on use by agronomic models or in decision making by farmers.
- Collaborate with scientists across the organization to realize the full value of weather information.
- Exploratory data analysis, data cleaning & processing.
- Directed and/or independent research to test scientific hypotheses.
- Write beautiful, robust, well-documented and well-tested research and library code.
- MS in atmospheric science or a related discipline, paired with experience in data science or computationally intensive research.
- 2+ year of hands-on experience working with diverse geospatial timeseries datasets.
- 2+ year experience with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or Pytorch, etc and deep learning architectures (RNN, CNN, etc).
- Skilled in Python (preferred), R, or Matlab, with demonstrated ability to write well-structured, well-tested, maintainable, performant, and well-documented code.
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science or a closely related discipline
- A high level of expertise with weather and other environmental data
- Insight into weather impacts on agriculture
- Experience with PySpark or SparklyR/SparkR and handling large datasets
- Ability and desire to work in highly collaborative multi-disciplinary environments.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills.
- Experience translating and presenting complex technical concepts to collaborators, decision makers, and non-technical audiences.
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Climate LLC is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].