Senior Data Scientist - Corn Modeling
Our mission at Climate is to help all the world's farmers sustainably increase their productivity by building a digitized platform where every farmer is able to optimize and flawlessly execute every decision on the farm. Achieving this vision demands revolutionizing agriculture through technology. Agriculture adoption of GPS, sensors, imaging and state-of-the art precision equipment has enabled the creation of computer generated prescriptions for farmers’ fields. The agricultural transformation from simple, mechanical based operations to complex computer based systems is possible because of data science & analytics. The digital revolution in agriculture rivals past technology changes such as mechanization, hybrid seeds, and biotechnology. There has never been a greater demand for your skills in agriculture.
We are seeking a highly motivated professional who shares our passion for innovation in the area of predictive analytics and artificial intelligence to join our Corn modeling team within the Science organization. You will have the opportunity to be on the forefront of developing novel & complex integrated agronomic models for recommendations on Products, Seeding Rate, Fertility and Crop Protection that farmers need today. Our team has access to the Rich and Big data you’ve only dreamed about to drive creation of simple, predictive, prescriptive models that will shape the future of the agriculture industry. We work on hard problems because we love the challenge. As part of our diverse, highly dynamic group, you will work side-by-side with a team of exceptional data scientists with diverse backgrounds (Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Physics etc..) to foster your career growth and development, while delivering next-generation scientific breakthroughs. If you are passionate about addressing feeding a growing planet, doing this sustainably by having a direct impact for farmers, the Climate Corporation would love to talk to you!
A Data Scientist plays a key role in delivering innovative scientific breakthroughs by applying predictive analytics, risk optimization and statistics to integrated recommendations. You will work closely with interdisciplinary scientists, domain experts and stakeholders to predict the product performance and provide personalized prescriptions for growers while developing novel analytical models and best practices for complex data analyses.
What You Will Do:
- Design and prototype models that integrate artificial intelligence techniques, optimization, and statistics in order to solve challenging analytics problems influencing farmer decisions using scalable models
- Leverage heterogenous data across the growing season(s) (Soil, weather, agronomics, equipment, imagery and real-time sensors) to prescribe optimal products & seeding rates, fertility and crop protection practices
- Solve computational challenges of scaling complex AI algorithms on big data with engineer partners
- Implement quantitative, empirical, geospatial statistical methodology to characterize and predict how products will respond across diverse farmer fields
- PhD or Masters plus 2 years of experience in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related discipline with a focus on using predictive analytics, artificial intelligence and/or optimization to influence real life decisions
- At least one year experience with applying quantitative research (e.g. artificial intelligence) in optimizing human decisions
- Familiarity with multiple regression techniques, multivariate analysis, mixed models
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, precise and actionable manner
- Strong computational skills in Python
- Knowledge and experience in farming, plant breeding or physiology, agronomy or genetics
- Proven experience using multiple forms of AI such as machine learning, deep learning, tensor flow, neural networks or predictive analytics to drive decisions using new algorithms efficiently and rigorously
- Good understanding of the machine learning/deep learning and statistical theory for feature engineering, feature selection and creation of ensemble methods
- Strong computational skills in two or more of the following statistical and optimization software: R, ASReml, GUROBI/CPLEX or MILP/MIQCP
- Ability to solve and communicate challenging and complex analytical problems, and willingness to extend own statistical and mathematical interests into new fields of research and development
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, The Climate Corporation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.