Geospatial Data Scientist
We are seeking a highly motivated data scientist with applied experience with remote sensing/geospatial datasets and modeling to join our team Data Insights geospatial and Remote Sensing Science within the Climate Science organization. You will have the opportunity to be on the forefront of developing novel & complex integrated agronomic models for recommendations on the seeds, agronomic traits, and crop protection that farmers need today. Our team has access to rich, industry-leading data sources to drive the creation of predictive and prescriptive models that will shape the future of the agriculture industry.
As part of our diverse, highly dynamic group, you will work side-by-side with a team of exceptional data scientists with diverse backgrounds--Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Environmental Science, Agronomy, and more--to deliver next-generation scientific breakthroughs, while fostering your career growth and development. If you are passionate about addressing the need to feed a growing planet sustainably, with a direct impact on farmers, Climate would love to talk to you. We work on hard problems because we love the challenge!
What You Will Do:
A Geospatial Data Scientist plays a key role in delivering innovative scientific breakthroughs by developing geospatial datasets and/or robust, predictive agronomic models for a variety of crops. You will work closely with interdisciplinary scientists, leveraging genetic, environmental, and farm management data to provide personalized prescriptions for growers through the development of novel analytical and predictive models to predict crop and agronomic performance.
- Clean, munge, and explore diverse environmental, EO remote sensing and/or geospatial datasets
- Develop environmental and geospatial layers, and test these layers in predictive models
- Analyze and judge the quality of data, and work with the data quality team to resolve issues
- Design, prototype, and implement models to explore spatio-temporal dynamics and variability in agricultural fields using diverse techniques that include, but are not limited to process modeling, statistical modeling, machine learning, data mining, and optimization
- Collaborate with other data scientists and engineers in developing models to characterize, diagnose and/or predict patterns of crop performance
- Write robust, well-documented, and well-tested research code and code libraries that adhere to community standards and best practices.
- MS in Statistics, Data Science, Math, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Soil Science, Geography, or other highly quantitative discipline + 2-year experience conducting geospatial data analysis and modeling, or PhD in one of the aforementioned disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience with remote sensing, agricultural, and/or large geospatial data. Demonstrated ability to apply statistical methods and/or data science to real world problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with processing and analyzing large geospatial datasets, assessing the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Skilled in the use of Python and SQL for research, data analysis, and/or modeling.
- Outstanding knowledge of Earth Observation satellite data from multiple sources and spectral regions (e.g. optical, RADAR) theory, sensors as well as its main applications to agriculture.
- Experience with processing remote sensing optical and SAR data using python, open source or off-the-shelf software tools.
- Experience with machine learning algorithms and tools (e.g., TensorFlow), artificial intelligence, deep learning and predictive analytics.
- Experience using spatial and time-series statistical methods to solve agricultural research problems.
- Experience in designing, developing, and testing geospatial pipelines applied to machine learning model generation and deployment.
- Experience using version control systems, e.g. git.
- Experience working with cloud technologies or distributed computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud etc.
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Climate aims to create a welcoming and collaborative environment for our employees in which a diverse set of perspectives and voices are represented and celebrated.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Climate LLC is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex (including pregnancy), protected veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion existing under applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].