Director of Observability
DFS has a unique value proposition over other companies - our engineering organization wants guidance from Performance Engineering experts, giving them the freedom to specify and utilize the best-of-breed tools and best practices. You won’t spend your time testing with synthetic workloads overcoming skepticism; you’ll be working directly on production without the stress of daily firefighting. Your measure of success is site performance and “Hapdex”, a term we coined for transaction performance and engineering/customer happiness - how about that?
At DFS, we believe that a great leader empowers people and wants them to grow. They create high-performing teams that have a deep sense of belonging, trust, safety, respect, collaboration and are able to push each other to perform more effectively. They remove obstacles, help develop stretch goals and enable everyone to take action and rise to their natural best to deliver and make a lasting meaningful impact. They create a culture flywheel that accelerates the team’s impact and engineering velocity.
DFS’s Infrastructure Engineering organization has an Observability team to help drive visibility and performance optimizations into our global service offerings. We are looking for a senior manager to lead, expand, and build systems that will give insights into our next-generation platforms.
Observability is one of the highest leverage teams in DFS as it enables teams to understand their services’ behavior before and after deployment, reducing bugs and support issues. Your goal is to minimize time spent to detect, triage, fix and maintain our services and better tooling, training, migration, adoption, assistance is required ongoing.
We are building a state-of-the-art Observability solution to process terabytes of operational and engineering data, providing engineers with deep insight (including financial) into the services they own. We work closely with cloud infrastructure and application engineering teams and thrive on developing a deep understanding (both operational and financial) of our large, complex and secure microservices environment.
What You’ll Be Doing:
· Lead the Observability vision in partnership with the Infrastructure Engineering leadership team.
· Driving a roadmap for monitoring and logging infrastructure.
· Owning the reporting and execution of changes to infrastructure or contracts to manage cloud provider costs.
· Lead, oversee, and grow a team of high-performing engineers by communicating a vision, providing direction, mentorship, and inspiration.
· Balance the strategic and operational needs of your team-from pitching ideas to negotiating trade-off decisions and coordinating resources.
· Drive excellence through collaboration with design and engineering directors, managers and architects.
· Cultivate positive relationships with executives and peers across the organization to ensure alignment and delivery of a comprehensive end-to-end user experience.
· Promote data-driven decision-making using collected information across the infrastructure to ensure users' observability needs are understood and met.
· Develop tools, dashboards, alerts, and training that quickly arm developers with deeper insights into application performance and service health issues reducing their MTTR and MTTA for Live Site Issues.
· Present core service performance metrics/health in operational meetings and discuss ongoing efforts to further improve system utilization and HApdex.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or Engineering, or Information Technology or equivalent work experience.
· 7+ years leading technical teams to deliver high-quality work in an agile, fast-paced environment.
· Ability to analyze varying stakeholder concerns, proactively leading diverse groups to address concerns and build consensus.
· Experience attracting, hiring, mentoring and retaining top talent.
· Expert knowledge of leading APM tools (e.g. New Relic, AppDynamics, Datadog, Splunk).
· Expert knowledge of modern observability practices.
· Proven ability to collaborate with Technical Program Managers and Architects on the design and development and rollout of highly technical observability initiatives.
· Experience with CloudHealth, Dome9, and price modeling for public cloud providers.
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
Climate, LLC - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Climate, LLC is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]