Senior Software Engineer in Test, Performance
Tenable is looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Test (SDET) to join Tenable’s Scanning organization as a lead performance test engineer. Focused on designing, developing, and maintaining state-of-the art solutions for scanning the ever-evolving landscape of customer’s IT infrastructure in a non-intrusive, scalable way, the Scanning engineering organization is at the heart of Tenable’s product line. In this role, you will be responsible for our performance testing strategy, and will help our engineering teams design and implement the testing tools and infrastructure necessary to ensure that our systems meet our customer’s expectations towards reliability, scalability and performance. You’ll bring in expertise on cloud performance and look forward to cross-functional collaboration with our product and engineering teams.
- Get in on the ground floor: in this role, you'll have a broad scope with an opportunity to take on new responsibilities and grow as an engineer. As a senior member of the organization it will be on you to help drive the overall performance testing strategy and set high standards across our teams.
- Innovate: As an organization, we run an “Innovation Sprint” at the start of every quarter where engineers can work on their own feature ideas, or try out new technologies.. You can demo your work in front of the rest of the company and pair up with people from other teams.
- Learn new things: We provide a training budget for you to attend conferences or workshops.
- Raise the bar: We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, our tech stack, and our product’s features. Bring your ideas and experiences to the table and help make a lasting impact.
- Collaborate: Work closely with Product Managers, other engineers, designers, and stakeholders to continuously iterate on our products and drive consensus. You will have the opportunity to support and mentor your peers inside and outside your team.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years software testing experience with specialization on performance, scalability and load testing and performance tooling in large scale, distributed systems and microservices architecture
- Excellent analytical skills, with experience summarizing large amount of metrics into meaningful reports to effectively communicate scalability, capacity and performance issues
- Solid experience with performance test tools, test harness and test automation and testing applications at the API layer, specifically RESTful APIs
- Experience developing in languages such as Python, and a willingness to learn new languages as needed
- Experience in System/AWS administration, TCP/IP networking, including protocol capture and analysis, system resource monitoring including OS-native tools and popular resource monitoring and log analysis stacks (ELK, TIG stack, Datadog, Splunk)
- Experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Terraform), container technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker), event store/messaging systems (e.g. Kafka)
- Interest in code profiling tools, data generation and data lakes is a plus
- Accountability for the behavior of your software in production
- Experience coaching and leading mid-level and junior staff in the design, implementation, and execution of highly technical development projects
- Experience in working in an Agile team, and an enthusiasm for working collaboratively within and across product teams
- The ability to work independently and as a part of a team, and to lead/drive projects as necessary
- The desire to continuously learn and be exposed to new technologies
- BS in Computer Science or directly related field, or equivalent work experience
If you’ve reached this point in the job description and feel you’re still not sure if you should apply…Just do it! We know there are no perfect applicants. You may not have 100% of all those bullets listed above - and that’s okay. If you’re feeling like you’re not going to fit in with our teams - that’s not ok. We're One Tenable which means however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we encourage you to submit an application if it’s a role you can be passionate about doing every day.
We’re committed to promoting Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) at Tenable - through all equal employment opportunity laws and regulations at the international, federal, state and local levels.