Senior Research Engineer Asset Competitiveness
Tenable is looking for a Senior Research Engineer to join our Asset Competitiveness team. This position will focus on improving asset detection in Tenable’s products including researching methods to detect assets and developing code to identify these assets.
- Work on complex research and development initiatives
- Implement advanced detection logic while minimizing false positives and false negatives
- Interface with stakeholders on externalizing the outcomes of research
- Develop detection plugins for the Nessus vulnerability scanner based on research
- Research and develop detection methods for services and products
- Participate in detection logic discussions and the research of new methods for detection
- Bring innovative ideas to improve our team’s processes and effectiveness
- Develop tools for assisting in code development
- Keep abreast of advancements and developments in the industry and perform original research to keep our customers secure
What You'll Need:
- At least 5 years of R&D experience
- Ability to work independently as a researcher as well as part of a team, leading the effort on some initiatives and being an active team member on other initiatives
- Demonstrably strong software development skills
- Disciplined focus on roadmap contribution and execution, willingness to shift priorities as needed
- Meticulous attention to detail regarding quality and accuracy of work
- In-depth knowledge of protocol analysis and interaction including common protocols such as HTTP, DNS, SSH, SMB, etc.
- Experience working with multiple operating systems (proficiency with Linux is a must)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to explore and learn
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with Nessus and other Tenable products (Tenable.io, Tenable.sc, etc.)
- Prior experience performing open-ended research when given high-level requirements and details of the desired output
- Reverse engineering experience including basic binary analysis, packet capture analysis, and firmware analysis. Prior experience with debuggers, disassemblers or decompilers (e.g. IDA Pro, Immunity Debugger, gdb)
- One or more security related certifications (e.g. OSCP, CISSP)
- Experience as a network engineer, security engineer, or systems administrator
- Experience in showcasing original research externally – via blogs, white-papers, etc.
If you’ve reached this point in the job description and feel you’re still not sure if you should apply…Just do it! We know there are no perfect applicants. You may not have 100% of all those bullets listed above - and that’s okay. If you’re feeling like you’re not going to fit in with our teams - that’s not ok. We're One Tenable which means however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we encourage you to submit an application if it’s a role you can be passionate about doing every day.
We’re committed to promoting Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) at Tenable - through all equal employment opportunity laws and regulations at the international, federal, state and local levels.