Procurement Intern (R6612)
The Procurement - Animal Handler Intern role is an entry level position that will be participating in various activities including, but not limited to, assisting in hog movement from truck to pens in a safe manner. They will also be responsible for proper documentation of animals and follow Prime Pork’s animal well-being and handling policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES:
- Verify that all humane handling SOP’s are being carried out, including scheduling, unloading, training, handling of non-ambulatory animals, driving and stunning
- Including hands-on helping with difficult hogs – both in the trucks and the drive alley’s
- Monitor/assist in slow hog movement & correct SOP coverage
- Monitor, Audit and document each of these activities including remote video auditing
- Maintain good communication with USDA/FSIS in matters related to humane handling
- Insure that animals are being properly transported by monitoring equipment and seasonal preparation
- Monitor animals for visible defects which may impact on yields or quality, providing information to Procurement for feedback to producers and maintain a database for the monitoring information which is collected
- Maintain implementation for the four elements of the Systematic Approach during each shift
- Monitor the load for excited, slow, down, or non-ambulatory animals
- Moving livestock from unloading area, to scale, to pens, then to stunning area via the use of persuasion tools
- Segregates and culls any hogs that may have been missed and reports
- Responsible for euthanasia of non-ambulatory hogs
- Maintains cleanliness of barn and equipment
- Sort butcher hogs according to weight and quality.
- Monitor the load for excited, slow, down or non-ambulatory animals
- Moving livestock from unloading area and then to the scale.
- Maintain head count and weight of hogs received at plant.
- Maintain animal identification by assigning tattoo numbers and/or tagging all hogs including any dead or non-ambulatory hogs.
- Ensure USDA regulatory compliance
- Safe and effective use of mobile equipment as required
- Advocate and maintain a strong commitment to safety in the operating process
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment such as hard hats, steel toe boots, hearing protection, etc.
- Follow Prime Pork’s animal well-being and handling policies
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Education: HS Diploma or GED, or equivalent
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug test
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in U.S.
- Ability to stand or walk for entire shift
- Ability to withstand higher levels of noise, dust, and odors associated with livestock on a daily basis
- Physical strength to assist in moving 200-300lb non-ambulatory animals
- Counting/Math involved
- Ability to withstand a variety of temperature and climate changes
- Ability to differentiate between little and heavy hogs (weight estimation) preferred
- Ability to help Procurement Manager in daily assignments.
- Ability to help operate the scale.
- Lifting is minimal but may be frequent.
- Minimal bending is required depending on the ability to motivate hogs to move with voice and driving aids.
- All candidates must be geographically flexible and willing to relocate for an internship opportunity
- Maturity, professionalism, and high level of discretion
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- TQA certification
- Captive bolt gun experience
- Bobcat experience
- 1 year of prior livestock handling experience
- 2+ years’ experience of knowledge of livestock quality and livestock handling
- Comfrey Farm Prime Pork, LLC offers both housing assistance and meal per diem
- Internships are paid and are at least 12 weeks during the summer term
- Day–to-day transportation to and from work is the responsibility of the intern
- Interns who demonstrate exceptional performance and a curiosity to learn more may be offered a full-time position upon completion of internship or graduation
About our Company
Delivering pork that consistently meets the highest standards for flavor, tenderness, texture, color and juiciness means doing what others can’t or won’t do. Comfrey Farm® Prime Pork is a start-up company with the passion and integrity to discriminately select the best quality hogs, including heritage Durocs for their most scrumptious meat characteristics. Along with that we partner with high-integrity family farmers who pledge to raise these amazing animals with the utmost dedication and care. Finally, we wholly own and operate a new, high-tech plant unlike any other in the U.S. to protect the flavor, color and integrity of our meat, and safely provide for our workforce. Our team shares Glen Taylor’s vision for elevating the craft of raising pork the way he remembers it as a child growing up on the family farm in Comfrey, MN. Comfrey Farm™ is proud to be part of the Taylor family, which consists of 80+ companies including the Minnesota Timberwolves, Minnesota Lynx, and Minnesota Star Tribune. If you want to join this fun, new start up, please contact Salena at 507-303-7556 or Salena.email@example.com.
Comfrey Farm Prime Pork, is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.