Scale Operator (R6599)
Prime Pork is seeking a scaler operator/clerk. Position will be responsible for operating the scale in the livestock barn and moving animals.
- Operate the livestock scale.
- Monitor the load for excited, slow, down or non-ambulatory animals.
- Use hand signals to communicate with alley buyer and pen movers.
- Check records, forms and scale tickets for accuracy. Organizing to give to controller for payments.
- Follow Prime Pork’s animal well-being and handling polices.
- Assist Procurement Manager in daily assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to comply with Packers and Stockyards guidelines.
- Ability to stand or walk for entire shift.
- Ability to withstand higher levels of noise, dust and odors associated with livestock on a daily basis.
- Good working knowledge of livestock quality and livestock handling.
- Ability to bend or move in order to motivate hogs to move with voice and driving aids.
- Ability to work in areas of extreme heat, and cold conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on a daily basis and be able to stand for up to 12 hours.
- Ability to read and write as required.
- Ability to pass pre-employment and random drug tests.
- Good counting/ math skills.
- Good verbal communication.
- Experience working with a diverse group of people. Bilingual Spanish and English a plus.
- Ability to maintain high expectations for self and others, demonstrating a dedication to achievement of results.
- Demonstrated ability to function successfully in a fast paced, changing work environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate throughout all levels of the organization.
- Solid problem solving, project management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- Detail oriented, organized, reliable and resourceful.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to sit, stand, squat, walk, grasp, lift, kneel, point, signal with hand or arm motion, crouch, talk, and hear.
- Basic computer skills required.
- 2+ years of scale operating experience.
- TQA certified
- 3+ years of livestock quality and handling preferred.
- Ability to differentiate between little and heavy hogs (weight estimation)
At Comfrey Farm Prime Pork, part of the broader Taylor family of companies, we offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary, and a competitive benefit package including health, dental & vision insurance, 401K plan, PTO (paid time off) and Holiday Pay.
About Our Company:
Delivering pork that consistently meets the highest standards for flavor, tenderness, texture, color and juiciness means doing what others can’t or won’t do. Comfrey Farm® Prime Pork is a start-up company with the passion and integrity to discriminately select the best quality hogs, including heritage Durocs for their most scrumptious meat characteristics. Along with that we partner with high-integrity family farmers who pledge to raise these amazing animals with the utmost dedication and care. Finally, we wholly own and operate a new, high-tech plant unlike any other in the U.S. to protect the flavor, color and integrity of our meat, and safely provide for our workforce. Our team shares Glen Taylor’s vision for elevating the craft of raising pork the way he remembers it as a child growing up on the family farm in Comfrey, MN. Comfrey Farm® is proud to be part of the Taylor family, which consists of 80+ companies including the Minnesota Timberwolves, Minnesota Lynx, and Minnesota Star Tribune. If you want to join this fun, new start up, please contact Linda at 507-303-7515 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comfrey Farm Prime Pork is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.