CDL Driver Instructor
Primary Purpose and Essential Functions: Train and/or evaluate student drivers ensuring they possess the skills to become a licensed commercial driver. If incumbent has acquired and maintains CDL Examiner certification issued by State, may administer exams as needed.
- Train student drivers on performing safety inspections relating to potential truck/trailer issues.
- Instruct functional driving skills such as performing turns, curves, backing, etc.
- Evaluate designated student drivers on a daily basis to determine when they are ready to progress from the range to the road.
- Ensure student drivers know how to perform well when driving on upgrades and downgrades including starting and stopping activities.
- Ensure student drivers possess a basic knowledge when dealing with situations such as intersections, urban/rural sections, expressways, bridge underpasses, etc.
- Effectively and efficiently resolve student issues.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner which facilitates the success of business operations in order to meet company demands and expectations.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by leadership.
- Skills: Must be able to be on feet, on hard surface, for eighty percent or more of shift (i.e. standing and walking while instructing and observing students while on the Range); basic proficiency with Microsoft Office suite; advanced oral and written communication skills and possess strong interpersonal skills; demonstrate good judgment and discretion; self-motivated and flexible; strong problem solving skills; leadership & commitment to continuous improvement; stress tolerance and ability to handle changing priorities; must engage in on going education relating to teaching skills as part of faculty improvement to maintain post-secondary education requirements of the state in which the Academy is licensed; must maintain Professional Truck driver Institute (PTDI) and Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA) standards and complete a minimum of two American Association for Vocational School modules annually.
- Education: Associates degree or equivalent combination of education and/or experience required.
- Experience Required: Two years' truck driving experience. Must be able to qualify for hire with Swift Transportation as a CDL driver by meeting requirements including, but not limited to: Must have fewer than 3 moving violations within a 5 year period (no more than 1 within 12 months). Must have fewer than 2 suspensions within 3yrs (this excludes child support). Must have no history of a DUI or DWI within the last 5yrs or 1 within the last 15yrs. Must have fewer than 2 preventable accidents within 5 yrs. Must be able to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) road test. Must have appropriate state certification as a CDL Examiner if tasked with administering exams.