The Underwriting Director position is very essential to building a successful mortgage team. The primary focus is to exceed our client’s expectations and deliver exceptional service. This position is crucial in the development of strong and lasting client relationships by delivering timely, accurate, and detailed underwriting decisions. Representing our company in a positive, professional and compassionate manner is essential.
This position will require working full time in our Sacramento Corporate office. Local candidates and those open to relocation to the area are encouraged to apply. Financial relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate.
$125,000 to $170,000 plus competitive bonus plan DOE.
Top 3 responsibilities and how you will be measured:
- Ensure Salability of All Loans
Measurement: Company will own zero loans.
- Maintain Posted Turn Times
Measurement: Percent of files that meet turn times (standard 95% met).
- Maintain Proper Staffing Levels in Department and Cohesive Team Structures (Happy Employees with a “Can Do” Attitude).
Measurement: Turn-times in Underwriting and Underwriting Support Departments are always 95% on-time or greater and Quality of files per Post Closing suspense report and Internal/External QC Audits having an error rate of 5% or less.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Directly manage the Underwriting Supervisors.
- Manage all exception requests within 48 hours.
- Manage escrow repair holdback requests within 48 hours.
- Ensure that all post-closing files that are escalated to Underwriting are directly resolved by you personally or your delegated Supervisor, Underwriter or CQA.
- Attend weekly Underwriting/Underwriting Support meetings.
- Attend weekly Risk Meeting and be prepared to discuss any loans on the Post Close suspense report.
- Attend Loan Committee Meeting daily between 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Spend one day per month visiting Branches. You can visit 2-3 Branches in one day. Spend 2-3 hours at each Branch.
- Provide support to Deal Desk team with complicated underwriting scenarios as needed.
- Attend all Sales Retreats.
- Provide the following weekly reports to SVP:
- Turn times in U/W and U/W support
- % of approved / suspended / declined loans per U/W
- MI report (reflecting turn-times)
- Monthly recap of department by the 3rd business day of the following month.
- Maintain posted Company turn times at 95% or better.
- Manage daily pipeline. Work with your fellow RUMs on load leveling to ensure posted turn times are met by all Regions.
- Provide support to underwriting team with guideline questions, difficult transactions, etc.
- Conduct second interviews and approve the hiring of all new Underwriter positions.
- Minimum of 10 years of recent Underwriting experience, 5 years in a management level role required.
- The Underwriting Director must have a comprehensive knowledge of FHA, VA and Conventional (conforming and non-conforming) loan program guidelines and have a thorough understanding of automated underwriting engines. DE and SAR/LAPP certifications required.
- Encompass LOS experience preferred
- Special care must be taken to review cash, income, credit and property issues.
- The Underwriting Director must be able and willing to train, coach and support staff as needed to enable them to provide complete, accurate and acceptable loan files for approval consideration.
- Solid time management skills and the ability to organize prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- High level of proficiency with mortgage loan processing and underwriting systems.
- Commitment to excellent and high standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Ability to build and sustain relations with staff and branch personnel.
Summit Funding, Inc. (NMLS #3199) is a full service mortgage lender offering expertise in every area of residential mortgage lending; including purchases, refinancing and construction lending. We have built a strong reputation as an outstanding mortgage firm that serves the lending needs of real estate professionals, builders and individual home buyers throughout the Country. We pride ourselves on our positive culture at Summit Funding, and we know that our diligence in hiring only the best candidates is largely responsible for this culture. Summit Funding has approximately 85 Branch and Satellite Offices in 20+ States and a workforce of over 1,000 Team Members. Compensation for this position will depend on experience. Summit Funding offers a complete compensation package including Medical/Dental/Vision insurance, 401K, Paid Time Off, Flex Spending, Etc. Please do not contact our office for additional information and please do not apply unless you meet ALL the minimum qualifications above. Summit Funding is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.