Technical Support Specialist - ITS
Summary of Position
Under the direction of the Director of Technical Support Services, responds to and resolves a wide range of technical issues by demonstrating sound judgment, and using an understanding of systems, software and basic IT procedures and protocol.
- Responds to end users and resolves computer hardware and/or software problems in a timely and professional manner by diagnosing and troubleshooting software, network connections/devices, and hardware failures. Specialists create or are assigned incidents or requests using ITS (Service Now) ticketing system. May involve own research to resolve or escalate to a Senior Specialist. Documents procedures and solutions in the Service Now knowledge base. Follows-up with end users to ensure incidents are resolved and recorded in ticketing system.
- Provides both in-person and remote support.
- Provide support during system failures and IT security emergencies by disabling access or a variety of solutions to address the incident.
- Resets end user passwords to all University systems (Duo mobile, Active Directory, Suffolk email, Colleague, ect.) following ITS protocol.
- Provides service desk coverage by responding to phone calls, answering the service desk email and managing walk-in incident reporting or requests.
- Provides support during student related academic year events such as orientation, move in day, placement, mid-term and final exams. Also provides support to faculty to ensure equipment and software needs for courses are met and classrooms are equipped.
- Image, configure and deploy computer hardware.
- Runs software updates and patches.
- Takes obsolete equipment out of service and record asset disposal using established systems.
- Ensures department has accurate and complete information regarding computer hardware inventory by using template to update inventory.
- Creates Technical articles for Service Now Knowledgebase
- Support the IT department’s initiatives by participating in team projects that enhance the quality or efficiency of the Tech Support Team.
- Support other duties as assigned.
- Two to four years of experience or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field in lieu of experience.
- Strong computer skills and systems knowledge including MS Windows, MAC OS, Email, Web Browsers and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel Outlook), imaging, and antivirus applications is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be committed to providing the highest level of customer service and responsiveness.
- Demonstrated experience working in a high volume, deadline oriented customer focused environment.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to act as mentor to Level 1 IT support team.
- Must be creative and proactive. Must have ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle difficult, stressful situations.
- Must be able to lift, bend and move computer and printer equipment.
- Standard hours of this position are 8:45am to 4:45 pm, M-F. May require flexibility with schedule to meeting department needs.