Associate Director for Transfer Admission
At Suffolk University we are driven by the power of education, inclusion, and engagement to change lives and positively impact communities. Committed to excellence, we provide students with experiential and transformational learning opportunities that begin in the center of Boston, reach across the globe, and lead to extraordinary outcomes for our graduates. Suffolk University draws its energy from the vibrant urban heart of Boston, with its spectrum of cultures, customs, values, and expression, and from the rest of the world, in the places our students and faculty call home. It’s the ideal foundation upon which to build a truly diverse university community.
Reporting to the Managing Associate Director of Undergraduate Admission, this full-time position works as part of an admission team responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate transfer students to Suffolk University. The Associate Director of Transfer Admission will be involved in a range of on and off campus recruitment activities including community college visits, special events, counselor meetings and applicant interviews. They will predominantly be responsible for the recruitment and evaluation of transfer applicants, as well as issuing credit evaluations for admitted students. The candidate will play an integral role in planning and implementing strategic initiatives for transfer enrollment, and serve as an advocate for transfer students across campus. A limited hybrid schedule is available and will incorporate a mixture of in-office and remote work based on the needs of the office/enrollment cycle. If you’re passionate about helping students and value the importance of our historical mission of access, opportunity, and inclusion, then we welcome your application for this position.
- Represent the University at virtual and in-person college fairs, special programs, veteran’s programs and visits to community colleges. Travel/recruit approximately 5-10 weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Coordinate extensive transfer recruitment programs at regional and national community colleges and conduct off-campus interviews with students and families as requested. Demonstrated understanding of Suffolk University’s mission, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and how our urban location presents a unique opportunity for prospective students.
- Evaluate approximately 800-900 transfer applicants per year, including traditional and non-traditional courses. Issue credit evaluations, admission decisions, and recommendations for honors consideration or merit scholarship programs. Assist with second-reading applications, as well as train staff on transfer policies and procedures. Counsel applicants, their families, guidance counselors, and transfer advisors on admission policies and the financial aid process. Maintain the Transfer Credit Database, and complete extensive follow up on transfer prospects, applicants, and admitted students. Evaluate certificate applicants, as well as students applying for Re-Entry to the university.
- Plan and implement in-person and virtual Transfer On-Spot Decision Days and transfer-specific events. Help set the strategy for application generation and yield of transfer students. Assist Managing Associate Director with reports on current trends in transfer admission and establishing strong relationships with community colleges. Participate in regional professional associations and chapters to build partnerships, including PTK. Lead the development of a strong transfer-specific communication plan involving email, print, social media, and texting. Candidate must be creative, strategic, and innovative in their approach to transfer enrollment.
- Assist the Welcome Center team with coordinating and implementing applicant yield activities such as Information Sessions, Suffolk Showcase, and area receptions in select markets. Assist in coordinating admission activities for newly accepted transfer students such as advising, orientation and course registration
- Assist the Director of Admission and Associate Directors in the onboarding, training, and mentorship of entry-level staff members.
- At least 5-7 years of demonstrated experience working in college transfer admission and recruitment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
- Experience working with students and families from underrepresented populations
- Understanding and familiarity with transfer articulation agreements preferred.
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
- Strong time management, attention to detail, and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with technology including Word, Excel, CRM systems (preferably Slate), social media, etc.
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families, transfer advisors, and secondary school counselors.
- Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours with some evening and weekend work.
- Ability and comfort with traveling for recruitment, including yield events.
- Must have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver’s license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.