Director, Advancement Communications
Suffolk University is excited to announce the career opportunity for Director of Advancement Communications!
Suffolk University, founded in 1906, has a growing alumni population of over 85,000. The Office of Advancement has achieved significant fundraising success in the past five years and has surpassed several fundraising records and alumni engagement goals. Reporting directly to the Associate Vice President, Advancement Engagement and Alumni Relations, and in close collaboration with the Senior Vice President, Advancement and University senior leadership, the Director, Advancement Communications has responsibility for the development and implementation of a comprehensive Advancement communications program that will continue to engage our alumni and donors and ensure that the University’s Advancement goals and objectives continue to be achieved.
Working closely with the Advancement team and University communications partners, the Director will develop and execute an Advancement driven communications strategy that includes web, print, digital, and social media communications, in support of the University‘s Strategic Plan 2025 and our Advancement goals. The successful candidate will ensure that all Advancement communications are aligned with the University Strategic Plan and branding campaigns.
% of Time
Develops and executes a comprehensive Advancement communication program
Reporting directly to the Associate VP, Advancement Engagement and Alumni Relations and working with the Senior Vice President, Advancement and senior University leadership, develops and executes a comprehensive Advancement communications program that includes metrics to measure impact and success.
Supports front-line fundraising
Uses traditional print, online, social media, and rapidly evolving digital technologies to develop a multi-channel Advancement communications program that includes cases for support and fundraising collateral materials to present fundraising priorities of the Strategic Plan 2025. Supports the needs of front-line fundraisers in designing, writing, and producing fundraising and stewardship collateral materials such as proposals, cases for support and donor impact reports.
Writes and creates communications that align with Advancement goals
Collaborates and communicates regularly with all Advancement staff, Marketing and Communications and Public Affairs staff, and the University’s senior administrators, deans, faculty, and others. Working closely with Communications and Marketing colleagues, ensures consistent high-quality Development and Alumni Relations communications that align Advancement goals and the Strategic Plan 2025. Writes and creates communications that clearly project the Suffolk brand to all constituencies. Balances and prioritizes multiple requests and produces a wide variety of written materials on behalf of Advancement. Reviews, proofreads and approves all Advancement communications to ensure the high quality and appropriateness of all content and messaging.
Member and contributor to the Advancement Engagement and Alumni Relations Management Team
As a member of the Associate VP, Advancement Engagement and Alumni Relations senior management team, the Director leads strategic initiatives, planning, and projects for Advancement communications. A primary responsibility is to ensure that our communication strategies and tactics are most efficiently utilized in support of the Office of Advancement’s fundraising and alumni relations goals and objectives. Also works directly with the Sr. Vice President, Advancement on special reports and projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5-10 years of professional communications experience, preferably in Advancement and Higher Education.
- Demonstrated competencies and progressive success in some combination of fundraising writing, proposal and grant writing, annual giving and major gift fundraising copy writing, case materials development, and publications production.
- Demonstrated digital and social media expertise and experience, especially as related to alumni engagement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on professional writing for publication. Demonstrated editorial and proofreading experience and skills required.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced deadline and goal oriented environment, simultaneously balancing diverse responsibilities.
- Ability to coordinate with multiple departments and work both collaboratively and independently.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations and a strong commitment to help developing and implementing the University’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion policies and goals.
- Advanced skills in databases, Microsoft Office and relevant marketing and communications software.
- The Hiring Manager will ask the successful candidate to produce a writing sample.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.