Professional STEM Tutor
The responsibility of the Professional STEM Tutor is to assist students who need math, statistics, physics and other STEM help. Professional STEM Tutors work in both our drop-in program (where they work both individually and in small groups with students) and in our one-on-one by appointment program. Professional STEM Tutors will also lead larger, scheduled, group tutoring sessions, as needed. Professional STEM tutors should at the least be well versed in mathematics (from arithmetic to calculus) and statistics.
- Tutor students who request STEM assistance: individual to small group sessions in math/stats drop-in, one-on-one appointments in STEM disciplines. Tutoring can be online or in the center. Tutors will write notes in our tutor management system for individual appointments.
- Training on specific topics related to assisting college students with STEM subjects, dealing with students of concern, etc. Training may be in person or online. Meeting with program supervisors to discuss other issues.
- Facilitate large group tutoring sessions at the end of the semester for final exam review.
- Master’s Degree or higher in a STEM discipline or related area.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of successful strategies for tutoring a diverse, college student population.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Creativity and flexibility in the tutoring spaces/online is expected.
Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.