Health & Safety Manager - 1504
STV is a multi-discipline engineering/architectural consulting and construction management company. STV’s Construction Management Division is a nationwide practice that provides a distinctive range of expertise to clients in both the public and private sectors. Our varied services encompass program, project and construction management, as well as project controls, purchasing and contracting, and fiscal stewardship. Our portfolio within the Construction Management Division includes public works, healthcare, research, commercial, industrial, educational, judicial, institutional, transportation and aviation market sectors.
LaGuardia Airport Redevelopment is the largest infrastructure development project in the US history expected to be completed by 2026. This multi-billion dollars project will be the major modernization and redevelopment of LaGuardia Airport and includes the construction of a new Delta Terminal C totaling over 1 million square feet to replace existing Terminals C and D. The project also entails building a central utilities plant; substation, roads, and bridges; airside facilities, including widened and improved taxi lanes airside.
We currently have an opening for a Health & Safety Manager (LaGuardia) with our Construction Management division. This individual will add value across the North East division by working with all level of employees on worker safety by integrating safety and health into all aspects of the construction process, from the design phase to jobsite management. Key responsibilities will include responsibility for organizing and running multiple construction projects in a manner that ensures the projects are safely completed on time, within budget and that the quality meets or exceeds the documented specifications and drawings. The Health & Safety Manager must plan ahead creatively achieving efficiencies, anticipating issues and addressing project needs.
This position requires the completion of regular site surveys of construction projects to identify and evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, hazardous situations and compliance with established safety standards. This requires interfacing with Insurance brokers, carriers, contractors, NYC DOB, OSHA and other safety professionals to direct and improve effectiveness of safety standards, codes and regulations.
The ideal candidate must be able to:
- An experienced Health and Safety Manager to conduct safety inspections on major municipal construction projects throughout the New York City region.
- Apply STV’s policies, procedures and work practices to promote the Company and project safety and health program and administers assigned functions to aid in this overall responsibility.
- Monitors compliance with mandatory safety and health laws, standards and codes.
- Monitors the activities of the Safety Inspector(s) and ensures that STV’s policies and safeguards are in place at all times.
- Participates in the investigation of injuries, conditions, and incidents that do, or could involve actual or potential liability, maintains adequate records of pertinent data and compiles the required reports on individual jobs.
- Assists the project supervisors in the inspection of equipment, facilities and work in progress.
- In conjunction with project managers and engineering team members, develops and initiates specific safety and health procedures in order to translate policies and regulations into effective work practices.
- Works collaboratively with other safety team members throughout the organization to further safety and health education work among all employees and managers.
- Conducts safety classes and/or first aid instruction
- Implements project orientation to new hires and subcontractor labor.
- Maintains safety logs and records all incidents. Collects all related information from staff, public and subcontractors and records in project logs. Acts as point of contact for contractors' and subcontractors' Safety Representatives.
- Monitors and attends subcontractors’ Tool Box meetings and maintains copies of meeting records. Monitors MSDS and hazard communication compliance..
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in EH&S field with program management / development responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree / Master Degree in safety or related field (preferred but not required).
- Certification in one of the following preferred: CSP, ASP, CHST.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant safety requirements including OSHA, NYC DOB, NYC DEP, DOT, local, state and federal regulations. OSHA 30 Construction. OSHA-500 Authorized Outreach Trainer preferred, but not required.
- Experience in dealing with regulatory agencies, safety professionals and insurance company representatives.
- Intermediate computer skills with the ability to use MS Office with proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills.
- Strong planning, scheduling, and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate with employees at all levels.
- Must be able to fulfill essential job functions in a consistent state of alertness and safe manner.
Work Environment/Physical Demands: The position requires conducting jobsite audits that may involve walking over uneven terrain, climbing ladders, and working from heights including scaffolds.
STV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Company practices and employment decisions, including those regarding recruitment, hiring, assignment, promotion and compensation, shall not be based on any person’s race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, creed, age, disability (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical), marital status, sexual orientation, or gender.