Senior Mechanical Engineer - 1384
STV is a leading, award-winning professional firm offering engineering, architectural, planning, environmental and construction management services. We consistently rank among the country's top 25 firms in education, corrections, highways, bridges, rail and mass transit. Throughout the United States and in Canada, STV’s professional, technical and support personnel offer services to a broad and ever-expanding client base. We provide planning, environmental, design, program and construction management, and specialty services for the transportation, design-build, institutional and commercial building, advanced technology, industrial and defense markets.
STV’s team of construction professionals provides flexible, focused construction management and technical services to public and private sector clients. Managing projects that range from $100,000 to hundreds of millions of dollars nationwide, our construction management specialists are complemented by an experienced architectural and engineering design staff. As an added value to our clients, we also provide cost estimating, scheduling and value engineering services in-house. It is this seamless integration of multidisciplinary capabilities that sets us apart from other firms.
We currently have an opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Transportation & Infrastructure division. This position can be based remotely anywhere in the mainland United States. We provide design services to both public agencies and private corporations. Current projects include Rail Transit System, road tunnels, bus transit terminals, transportation maintenance facilities, municipal buildings such as public work facilities, and commercial/retail.
- Prepare mechanical proposals, basis of design, mechanical designs and specifications for building and facilities projects.
- Perform or direct engineering calculations, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and other mechanical engineering computer modeling (noise, egress, emissions analysis)
- Analyze subway networks using Subway Environment Simulation (SES) software
- Develop or direct CFD modelling and perform simulations to evaluate and optimize tunnel ventilation strategies for enclosed mass transit, rail and road tunnels
- Analyze and assess the consistency and accuracy of the CFD results
- Generate detailed reports of findings
- Design tunnel ventilation systems including fans, dampers, and ductwork
- Maintain a working knowledge and understanding of the relevant codes, regulations and client specific requirements
- Perform code and life safety analysis and reviews
- Conduct evaluations for compliance with procedures codes and standards.
- Participate in site inspections of tunnels and related infrastructure facilities. Evaluate condition of equipment and obtain site dimensions
- Work directly with other mechanical team members, other engineering disciplines and project managers to help complete assigned tasks and projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required.
- Knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Advance Fluid Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer is required.
- PE license required.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant design experience, ideally for Transportation-related facilities (Stations, Maintenance Yards, etc.) Relevant experience should be with systems associated with mechanical design including HVAC, ventilation, plumbing, fire protection systems, an understanding of ASHRAE, NFPA, and building codes and standards.
- Proficiency in report and specification writing, application of the building code.
- Focused experience with industrial projects, state agency projects, and/or local municipal projects would be a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite is required.
- Proficiency with CFD analysis software (ANSYS Fluent, Star-CCM+, FDS).
STV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Company practices and employment decisions, including those regarding recruitment, hiring, assignment, promotion and compensation, shall not be based on any person’s race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, creed, age, disability (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical), marital status, sexual orientation, or gender.