Planning Manager - 1461
STV is a leading, award-winning professional firm offering engineering, architectural, planning, environmental and construction management services. We consistently rank among the country's top 25 firms in education, corrections, highways, bridges, rail and mass transit. Throughout the United States and in Canada, STV’s professional, technical and support personnel offer services to a broad and ever-expanding client base. We provide planning, environmental, design, program and construction management, and specialty services for the transportation, design-build, institutional and commercial building, advanced technology, industrial and defense markets.
For more than 50 years, STV has served the public transportation industry by attending to the needs of our clients and the traveling public. We look at transportation projects from the customer’s point of view. Our responsiveness has earned us the reputation as a leader in transportation systems and facility planning, design and construction management. We draw on years of experience—working for and with agencies—to develop fresh ideas and long-term maintainability. And we follow up with full services from offices across the country. We carefully shape each project from initial planning through final design.
We currently have an opening for a Planning Manager for our Transportation and Infrastructure division. The position is based in our Oakland, CA office.
Key responsibilities will include:
Serve in a management and leadership role as a Transportation Planning or Environmental Planning Task Lead on large-scale multi-disciplinary transit and transportation projects. Serve as a Transportation Planning and/or Environmental Planning discipline expert on large-scale multi-disciplinary transit and transportation projects. Serve as a Deputy Project Manager on mid-sized multi-disciplinary transit and transportation projects. Serve as a Project Manager on small or mid-sized planning projects.
Lead oversight, management and preparation of feasibility studies, alternatives analyses, environmental technical reports and documents that comply with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) for transit and transportation projects primarily. Strong management and technical writing skills are critical.
Management responsibilities would include oversight of internal staff including workload management, billability, professional development and mentorship, as well as management of external sub consultants. For projects, responsibilities would include developing technical strategies, preparing technical work products, reviewing technical work products prepared by others, managing work products, deadlines, budgets, financial tracking, ensuring profitability targets, schedule maintenance, monthly progress reports, and invoice preparation. For proposals, responsibilities would include technical writing, cost estimating efforts, internal multi-disciplinary coordination and coordination with external sub-consultants. Identifying and cultivating business development opportunities will also be expected.
The position would require interfacing with senior management within the firm, client representatives, engineers, architects, planners, public agencies, construction contractors, elected officials, stakeholders and members of the general public.
This position would provide an immediate opportunity to work on some of the most transformative transit and transportation projects in California.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years of full-time professional experience with transit planning, transportation planning, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and/or California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) required
- Specifically, management and preparation of alternatives analyses and/or NEPA/CEQA environmental technical reports/documents required
- Experience preparing and managing feasibility studies highly preferred
- Experience working on transit and transportation projects highly preferred
- Experience preparing and deploying Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Plans/Programs (MMRPs) for active construction projects preferred
- Experience managing planning direct reports at various levels highly preferred
- Experience with marketing and business development highly preferred
- Experience cross-selling planning services with architecture and engineering services highly preferred
- Experience preparing project proposals and cost estimates to support proposals highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred. Degrees in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Geography, Urban Planning, Architecture, Transportation Planning or related fields are preferred
- AICP, LEED AP, LEED GA, and/or ENV SP highly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency in Adobe Suite, ArcGIS and Microsoft Project highly preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Focus on mentorship for emerging staff
- Highly motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project management skills and experience (technical, financial, staff management, sub consultant management, and task management)
- Multi-tasking abilities (time/task management with multiple projects and deadlines running concurrently)
- Business development relationships and acumen
STV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Company practices and employment decisions, including those regarding recruitment, hiring, assignment, promotion and compensation, shall not be based on any person’s race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, creed, age, disability (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical), marital status, sexual orientation, or gender.