Engineering Director - Bridge Practice - 2923
Are you ready to take your career to the next level?
STV, an award-winning national leader consistently ranking among the country's top companies in the design and planning of infrastructure and transportation systems, is seeking a candidate to lead our Highway Bridge practice in Virginia and Washington DC. More than 100 years old, the firm provides comprehensive architectural, engineering, planning, environmental, and construction management services for public and private sector clients. Our success is the direct result of our employees' commitment to innovation and quality across all 40 offices and over 2500 people nationwide.
The STV Virginia Operation has been providing bridge engineering services in Virginia and Washington DC for decades. As one of the premier consultants in the transportation industry, our Virginia/DC offices provide bridge design and inspection services to DDOT, VDOT and municipalities throughout the Commonwealth, as well as for contractors on design build projects. This is a great opportunity to join a highly motivated and successful team that has played a significant role in numerous major transportation projects throughout the region and the United States.
We have an immediate need for an Engineering Director to lead our Highway Bridge Practice. This position includes leadership and oversight of our bridge and bridge inspection staff as well as other firm-wide roles. We are looking for a strong leader with a proven track record of identifying and winning the right pursuits. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact with clients on a regular basis, contribute to business development efforts, and mentor younger staff all while leading the overall operation and direction of our Bridge Team. On transportation projects the selected candidate will perform technical oversight, contract management, technical and cost proposal development, project performance and client management. This is an excellent role for a creative, self-motivated and detail-oriented professional who enjoys leading and growing a team!
This position offers a leadership role at an Engineer News-Record (ENR) Top 50 rated firm. This individual would assist other senior staff in collaborating on various multidisciplinary transportation projects. The ideal candidate is an individual who desires to lead through example, is professionally respected, is an excellent communicator, and possesses a vast understanding of project delivery process.
- Leads and manages the Bridge Practice in our Virginia and Washington DC offices.
- Manages and leads selected projects
- Prepares technical and cost proposals to win work
- Ensures projects meet or exceed forecasted profit margins
- Manages staff utilization by scheduling, monitoring, and revising assignments, providing leadership and direction by mentoring and motivating staff
- Works with other managers, project engineers, and discipline leads to develop budgets, schedules, and clear project delivery plans
- Proactively drives safety and ensures that health and safety practices are maintained
- Maintains quality of project deliverables produced by the Bridge Group
- Carries out periodic and end of phase/project reviews and audits with the contractors and design teams to ensure that lessons learned are captured, shared and used to inform/improve future project delivery
- Fosters and manages client relationships to help procure new business. Some evenings will be spent at professional society meetings; where you will work to develop and maintain relationships with key clients, teaming partners, and potential technical staff hires.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering; Master’s degree preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience managing design, with a minimum of 10 years managing progressively larger projects and supervising staff
- Virginia Professional Engineer (PE) license and ability to obtain Washington DC PE required
- Strong technically based leadership skills with understanding of engineering disciplines and technical design standards
- Strong project management skills and ability to plan and coordinate work effort needed to meet deadlines
- Broad knowledge of study, design, and management of bridge projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to form effective relationships
- Strong relationships with transportation agencies in Virginia and DC
As a matter of policy and to protect STV’s colleagues, clients and business partners, STV requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of such vaccination to STV as of the start date of their employment.
STV considers all applicants for employment without regard to actual or perceived age; arrest or conviction record; caregiver status; citizenship status; race; color; credit history; creed, disability; sex; gender; gender identity or expression; hairstyle; immigration status; marital status; military, uniformed service, or veteran status; ancestry or national origin; creed; citizenship status; partnership status; disability; pre-employment marijuana testing; pregnancy; race; religion; salary history; sexual and reproductive health decisions; sexual orientation; status as victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking; unemployment status; or any additional category or characteristic that is protected as defined by applicable federal law, the New York State Human Rights Law, and New York City Human Rights Law, as amended from time to time.