2024 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Summer Analyst
Starwood Capital Overview:
Starwood Capital Group is a private investment firm with a primary focus on global real estate. Since its inception in 1991, the Firm has raised over $70 billion of capital and currently has approximately $115 billion of assets under management. Over the past 30 years, Starwood Capital has invested in over $200 billion of assets, including properties within every major real estate asset class.
Starwood Capital’s Internship Program is 9-weeks long and we select a group of highly motivated summer interns with the goal of identifying talent for our Full-time Analyst Program. Our size and structure provides individuals with a high level of responsibility and the unique opportunity to work directly with senior management, joint venture partners, investment bankers, brokers and commercial lenders in all real estate classes. Summer Interns will participate in a variety of specialized trainings that will refine their skills and assist them in transitioning into the professional working environment of Starwood and the investment industry as a whole. A mentorship driven program allows our Summer Interns to create lasting relationships that will support the continued growth of a successful career.
- Research ESG trends within the Real Estate industry and create monthly ESG-linked capital market reports
- Support Starwood Capital Group’s investment, asset management, and capital markets teams in the integration of ESG initiatives across the Starwood ecosystem
- Support ESG team by researching and developing valuation models to assess property value at risk from the transition to a low-carbon economy, and to identify asset value created via the implementation of building efficiency/sustainability initiatives
- Identify building efficiency improvement opportunities together with Starwood’s Proptech and procurement teams to expedite the decarbonization of our real estate portfolio
- Oversee the expansion of Starwood’s ESG data collection processes, collaborating with IT, data science, asset management, property management and others to ensure property-level operating data is synthesized for carbon emission tracking and reporting
- Support Investor Relations with annual ESG reporting processes, and with LP ESG due-diligence requests. Work with investor relations and marketing to produce the annual ESG marketing materials
- Maintain / regularly update Starwood’s corporate responsibility and sustainability portal / website
- Oversee completion of Green Building and Healthy Building Certifications across property portfolios
- Work with HR to gather employee philanthropic engagement initiatives and to develop additional opportunities for community engagement and social participation
- Work with procurement and legal to enhance our 3rd party vendor ESG policies, and to track DEI initiatives across our corporate relationships
- Support our corporate office sustainability practices. Create educational materials around sustainability for use across our corporate offices
- Support ESG lead create ESG Steering Committee Presentations and update material
Starwood Capital seeks to hire qualified candidates who have superior analytical, quantitative, and technical skills. These successful candidates should:
- Have a strong academic records
- Have a demonstrated interest in ESG, real estate and/or finance
- Have an unyielding work ethic
- Display a willingness to take direction and the capacity to quickly learn and develop skills required to become an effective analyst
- Be a team player who feel comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student
- Anticipated graduation date: Fall 2024 – Spring 2025