The role: Engineering Manager
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our busy and dynamic team based in our Sofia office.
Why we need you:
We’re expanding our team to use our technical and sports betting knowhow to deliver amazing products to customers of Sky Bet and BetStars around the world.
An Engineering Manager is responsible for a group of software engineers of various experience levels and will usually have up to 10 direct reports. The role reports into a Head of Technology alongside other Engineering Managers.
Engineering Managers are responsible for both people management for their team, and the way we deliver against our business goals from an in-house software engineering perspective. You should be a confident technical leader with experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice. Key responsibilities for the role will be:
- Engineering People Management
- Run a strong team of top-notch highly motivated software engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce single points of failure in our teams.
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance challenges.
- Define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of “small autonomous agile teams”) to match the current focus of our Tribe. Work with the Tech Leads to ensure that we have the right mix of skills in each squad.
- Foster a Sustainable & Scalable Engineering culture
- Evangelise & prioritise engineering best practice in your squads so we have a clear direction for continuous improvement.
- Take responsibility for managing the levels of technical debt, evolving coding practices and aging code risks. Input into framework & language choice, development build and deployment tooling.
- Be responsible for adherence to the Tribe’s technology principles and SDLC in the context of our wider compliance requirements. Make sure we do this in a way that maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment.
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Work with Tech Leads, Test Managers and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver high quality engineering solutions with the right balance between delivery speed vs operational risk
- With the Ops Manager, design and implement relevant support processes for the team's services.
- Provide technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and oversee that any remedial work is carried out.
- Constantly make our engineering better: the skills and expertise of the team, improving delivery predictability and speed, operational awareness and responsibility.
- Highlight engineering risks and improvement benefits widely around the business to gain traction on making those improvements happen.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.
Based in our Sofia city centre tech hub, you’ll enjoy being part of our strong team culture, with the flexibility to work remotely around that. You will be working in an environment where a worldwide team feel like family and everyone works together to achieve a shared vision.
You will build the next generation of applications to support international growth. Working within our bespoke framework to create performant, immersive sports betting experiences. Integrate with our real-time data feeds to give customers the most relevant and up-to-date information around their bets. Leverage content management and configuration tools to provide non-technical colleagues with applications to effectively manage sports betting products across many different territories.
Who are we looking for:
You’ll have strong experience in delivering solutions and products. Leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in online betting & gaming or similar web/mobile-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration.
We’ll expect you to have commercial experience in managing delivery and an integrated release process in an online environment. Commercial experience in Continuous Deployment.
You’ll also need a proven ability to take and influence technical decisions in a fast-moving commercial environment. You’ll be a committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions. You are also an analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
- Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in a web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
- Solid software development background with excellent understanding of algorithms, design patterns and principles, architectures and paradigms
- An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background.
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
What’s in it for you?The salary for this job is based on experience so whilst we are not able to provide such details at this stage, we can confirm that we offer an excellent salary and benefits package. You will have 22 days paid annual leave.
Our benefits include a discretionary annual performance bonus, premium health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (providing you all live at the same address), and a generous company contribution into a private pension scheme each month.
As an advocate of work/life balance, we offer an annual personal interest allowance where we encourage personal learning outside of working hours; e.g. driving lessons, cookery classes and circus training (to name a few that our people have used this towards).
We also have an Employee Assistance Programme where you receive complimentary and confidential support from professionals who offer independent advice 24/7. Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career. We offer many more great perks such as an annual travel loan, subsidised massage sessions, free drinks, snacks, hot beverages and fresh fruit every day.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a phone interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a face-to-face interview
The GroupThe Stars Group is the ultimate owner of industry leading gaming brands such as PokerStars, PokerStars Casino, BetStars, Full Tilt, and the PokerStars Live brands, and through its ownership of Sky Betting & Gaming, a mobile-led leading online gaming operator, licenses the Sky Bet, Sky Vegas, Sky Casino, Sky Bingo and Sky Poker online gaming brands. Collectively, these and other brands of The Stars Group have millions of registered customers globally, forming one of the world’s largest publicly listed online gaming companies. This role is in the Group’s Bulgaria service office in the Technology department.