Lead User Experience (UX) Designer
SRC, Inc. is currently seeking a Lead UX Designer. The selected candidate will have a passion for user-centered problem solving, the drive to take on challenging, meaningful work and empathy to make products that actually work for users. This role will be part of a growing User Experience team (based out of our Syracuse, NY headquarters) supporting programs, products, and services throughout the organization.
This is a unique opportunity to join a recently formed UX group at a well-established organization. User experience is a strategic initiative at SRC, Inc., involving building a UX Center of Excellence team that will consist of many UX practitioners over the next three years. This group is responsible for increasing the usability of our products by designing end-to-end experiences utilizing Human-Centered Design (HCD) principles and practices. They are also charged with advocating the benefits of HCD by working with and training other SRC, Inc. employees distributed throughout regional sites in the U.S.
In this lead role, you’ll have the depth of expertise to confidently guide product, program and engineering teams through HCD strategies and processes, meeting the goals of our users, while balancing the needs of business and engineering. You’ll work collaboratively alongside engineering disciplines (including systems, hardware, software, mechanical, and test), program and product management teams, and other leading stakeholders to build solutions that genuinely improve our users’ day-to-day lives while providing business value to the SRC organization (https://www.srcinc.com/capabilities/research-and-development/user-experience.html). Because of the diverse nature of our work, we can accommodate team members with varying industry and technical backgrounds.
- Work with appropriate stakeholders to define the HCD strategies, processes, and approach for tackling design challenges within the broader product vision.
- Lead UX design efforts with curiosity and empathy—executing with craft and clear rationale.
- Periodically, lead research efforts and collaborate closely with the product, program and engineering teams to define user needs, user requirements, and workflows.
- Facilitate cross-functional design workshops within product teams and other collaborative sessions.
- Confidently communicate design solutions within product teams, business and customer stakeholders.
- Validate proposed design solutions and prototypes with users and stakeholders.
- Work with engineering to document and communicate proposed design solutions to all product team members.
- Lead design reviews with the product team and stakeholders.
- Stay up to date on Human-Centered Design and Design Thinking methods.
- Support the development of Human-Centered Design procedures, work instructions, and training materials.
- Grow trusted relationships and networks with SRC leaders and managers
- Contribute to internal initiatives and research that fuel innovation and technological advancements.
- Support and mentor the growth of less experienced UX practitioners.
- Some travel required (10%) to provide support for field tests, usability research and usability evaluations.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (or emphasis) in UX, human-computer interaction, psychology, industrial design, or UX related field. UX certifications or other relevant UX growth experience will also be considered.
- Experience: 5 + years experience within the UX industry.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- A diverse and extensive range of experience in conducting user research (both qualitative and quantitative) throughout your career.
- Experience influencing and promoting the value of UX/HCD within product teams.
- Experience collaborating and leading in distributed (and remote) teams.
- Experience/familiarity working with engineering teams.
- High efficiency in working with the Adobe Suite of Products, or other similar design industry programs.
- Experience using Design Systems.
- Portfolio demonstrating experience/body of work in UX tied to key business value or metrics—especially in the area of complex or highly regulated product domains.
Learn more about SRC:
President Biden’s Executive Order 14042, requires Federal contractors and subcontractors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by January 18, 2022. This requirement applies to all SRC, Inc. and SRCTec, LLC employees and its subcontractors.