Before and After School Counselor
The before & after school counselor implements creative and engaging programs for students in a safe, nurturing environment. This position participates collaboratively and professionally with other faculty and staff to promote the general well-being of the school, and collective/individual interest of the staff and student body.
- Serve as a Group Leader showing enthusiasm in actions and spirit while implementing lesson plans provided by the School.
- Lead and participate in a variety of activities that actively engage students, such as games, songs, sports, skits and special events and are aligned to the mission of the school.
- Supervise students at all times including transitions between activities so students are accounted for, are safe at all times and they know what is expected of them.
- Serve as a good example and role model to the students, and maintain and appropriate level of professionalism at all times.
- Aide students in developing self-confidence and a positive self-image by providing an environment of acceptance and support for each student.
- Give directions both verbally and visually, when appropriate by using correct grammar and a variation in voice and gestures.
- Provide time and attention equitably among all students while circulating freely and spontaneously around the classroom.
- Actively greet parents each day upon drop-off and pick-up times.
- Be knowledgeable of and comply with the school child disciplinary process.
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of each child in his/her group.
- Keep the group of children together and take frequent face to name checks.
- Maintain a physical environment (indoors and outdoors) which is safe, healthy, neat, attractive, clean, and appropriate for students and is conducive to having fun.
- Always know where each child in the group is at all times. One counselor should always be present to supervise the group; no child/children should be left unsupervised.
- Ensure that all daily attendance records are accurate and up to date.
- Complete all records and forms timely, accurately and neatly, including daily sheets.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding staff, children and families as well as the management and operations.
- The ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate policies and procedures.