Senior Server Engineer
Senior Server Engineer (C++)
Sports Interactive are seeking a committed and experienced Senior Server Engineer to play a pivotal role in shaping an exciting mobile project.
Working in a small and energetic games as a service team, you will be integral to the planning and implementation of a robust server architecture to propel the product into live service and beyond.
As an expert in your craft, you have experience of designing and architecting C++ server code, as well as the ability to maintain and build upon existing features and code. Professional experience of SQL database architecture planning and development is desirable.
You will preferably have online and mobile gaming development experience, along with strong interpersonal skills and a passion for video games.
- Work closely with the Lead Developer and server team to develop and improve client, server, and database architecture
- Game performance assessment, support, and optimisation
- Design and develop solutions addressing reliability, scalability and security
- Implement industry best practices from an architectural and engineering standpoint
- Directly involved with developing, maintaining, shipping, and supporting full development cycle of multiple client/server-based games
- Excellent C++ knowledge, including modern C++
- Expertise with network programming and optimisation
- Experience coding against large data systems
- Multi-threaded application development knowledge
- A champion of code quality and a proven mentor
- Excellent communication skills, able to work in a team as well as independently
- Professional experience with web and cloud technologies such as Azure, GCP or similar services
- Experience in deploying, operating, and scaling dedicated game servers for session-based, multiplayer games
- Experience developing, maintaining and running live ops for world-scale games
- SQL DB architectural experience
- Familiar with Linux Development
- js and backend development
- Strong interest in mobile gaming
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.