Software Engineer (3D Graphics - C++ and C#)
Sports Interactive are looking for talented graphics programmers to help us take Football Manager to the next level. You will be working on graphics code across multiple projects and products. This includes 3D visualisation of matches, football players, indoor/outdoor scenes and custom player characters. Your focus will be on visuals; improving our graphics in general and composing and rendering a large variety of stadiums, pitch types, weather types, crowds and environments covering every level of football from the tiniest grounds to 80,000-seat behemoths.
You will be heavily involved in improvements and will have great input into shaping the future direction of our graphics technology. You will also be ensuring it looks great and performs superbly on all the various platforms that we develop on as well as rectifying any stability issues we come across.
Football Manager ships on Windows, macOS, Xbox, Nintendo Switch as well as iOS and Android. We are always looking at new platforms so there is plenty of scope for an interest in a particular technology or platform.
- Research and develop approaches to improve and implement great visuals.
- Improve the look and feel of all 3D graphics areas of our products on all our platforms, including our match engine simulation.
- Work closely with our match engine, animation, tools and core tech engineering teams.
- Work with artists across the studio, bringing assets into the game so they look as intended.
- Investigate and solve performance bottlenecks and any stability issues.
- Help improve our internal graphics-related tools and pipelines.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Strong 3D maths skills.
- Experience with graphics APIs, profiling, frame debugging and shader development.
- Knowledge of existing, recent, and upcoming graphics techniques, and modern GPU architectures.
- Strong knowledge of modern C++ and C# languages.
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Professional experience using the Unity engine.
- Minimum two years’ experience with real-time graphics in a modern engine.
- Experience with cross-platform development, working on code that is used across multiple platforms.
- A solid technical background with excellent understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, portable, and well-documented code.
- Strong communication skills, ability to work in a team with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.