Sporting Group are part of FDJ Gaming Solutions, the innovation, technology and service hub of Francaise des Jeux, the fourth largest operator worldwide, that has an impressive range of high-profile global clients in the Sports Betting, Gaming and Lottery sectors that rely on their B2B offer of omni-channel solutions and services to thrive in a competitive marketplace.
In 2021, FDJ Gaming Solutions UK, merged with Sporting Group, who are the world’s leading names in sports betting technology and trading. The Group employs circa 300 staff, predominately at its central London HQ, and has two principal divisions: Sporting Index (SPIN), the pre-eminent sports spread betting company; and Sporting Solutions (SSLN), which supplies real-time pricing and sports trading capabilities to sportsbooks around the globe. Together, we can now provide high-performance sports betting solutions driving web, mobile and retail channels for tier 1 operators worldwide.
Sporting Group are now building the future architecture for our varied technical platforms, which today drive numerous sports betting platforms worldwide. These range from services and components through full end-to-end solutions operated on behalf of international gaming companies, to our own Sporting Index sportsbook.
The challenges faced by these systems during high profile sporting events continually break new boundaries, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to answer this business need with leading-edge technologies and techniques, pushing it towards ever higher goals.
As part of his/her role the candidate will be expected to work with other architects and technical leads to build and evolve a new set of technical standards and ways of working across the group, and as such the role will offer chances both to remain in touch with the technologies and to expand into Enterprise Architecture.
- Build high level designs to deliver evolutions and next generation designs for Sporting Group’s platforms.
- Work with other teams to agree and refine processes that ensure architecture principles are applied successfully by all projects. In particular, engage the development team in the design process and rationale.
- Detail high-level architecture designs and recommendations, and validate that development teams’ implementation choices are compliant.
- Present concepts and designs to the group architecture team, and regular updates on key architectural decisions to project sponsors.
- Identify new trends and how they can benefit the company’s ability to remain a key player.
- Evaluate relevant third-party products which may help improve processes, or the reliability of systems.
- Assist with building and improving documentation which explains the existing and future architecture.
Relevant knowledge and experience
- Up-to-date knowledge of fundamental architecture concepts, with an emphasis on approaches which ensure system correctness, resilience, and performance.
- Experience with message driven systems, particularly ensuring they remain capable of performing within SLAs.
- Awareness of streaming and event-sourcing designs and situations in which they are useful.
- Solid understanding of database architectures and alternatives, especially how they offer different opportunities and challenges in handling sudden bursts of activity.
- The opportunities and challenges presented by clustering, sharding, partitioning and similar techniques.
- Appreciation of the trade-offs between micro-service and monolithic designs.
- Experience designing reactive, scalable services for deployment in Cloud environments.
- Ability to draw upon multiple approaches to model and document designs.
- Motivation to work on the design of highly performant yet reliable systems, exploring and explaining the tension between those two qualities.
- Proven ability to acquire an understanding of an existing solution by breaking it down systematically into its component parts and identifying the roles and relationships.
- Communication with key stakeholders to understand requirements and translate them into appropriate technical designs.
- Attention to detail - applying quality standards to all tasks undertaken
- An interest in the business goals, including the varied needs of internal and external clients and keeping them in mind when making recommendations
- Communication and social skills – ability to communicate effectively by word of mouth and in writing with an aptitude for communicating complex technical issues to both peers and non-technical staff.