Managing Director, Education Services (20-136)
Spok has a passion for healthcare and a commitment to our core values of communications, innovation, accountability, and putting the customer first. Watch this video: Improving Clinical Workflow Through Accurate and Efficient Communications and learn how we’re living our company values every day and changing the way healthcare communicates. We’re coders, problem solvers, and learners who are helping caregivers act faster, heal bodies and save lives. Spok has an opening for a Managing Director of Education Services who will build and lead the customer-facing training organization. This role presents a unique opportunity for a proven education services leader to take our product training to the next level. In this role, you will use previous experience managing a P&L-based education organization to develop and execute an education services strategy. The education leader must be well-versed in the principles of XaaS business models and how to align training to help drive product adoption and customer retention.
The Managing Director of Education Services (MDEC) is responsible and accountable for successfully developing and implementing the vision, mission, profitability, and both short and long-term objectives for the Education and Services Line of Business. In this position, the Managing Director of Education Services will lead and manage the instructional design/curriculum team, the instructor delivery team and the education operations function. We need an individual who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to define a customer facing content strategy and to deliver impactful business results and achieve revenue objectives through the design, development, delivery and evaluation of the training content and materials. You will play a vital, strategic role in ensuring that the company has the learning programs and content needed to enable the sale, adoption, expansion and renewal of Spok’s products. You are the owner of the customer experience as it relates to Education services. This role is a leader in operational and training excellence including metric identification and oversight of all projects to ensure overall quality; identifying, evaluating, and developing methods and procedures that are efficient, effective, and meet best practice standards. This leader will need to be passionate about change, improvement and transformation for our employees and for customers, ready to jump in at any time as an active executive no matter the time of day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and lead the vision for the Education Services Practice.
- Responsible for developing and executing the business model for the attainment of revenue and P&L goals for the Education Services Practice; manage an education organization that evolves from break-even to a revenue generating organization that produces margin and meets profit objectives.
- Identify and develop routes to market for education offers.
- Develop and deploy easy buy/easy sell mechanisms, such as learning subscription plans, training credits, training days, etc.
- Define and develop the content strategy and processes that will be used to ensure rapid, flexible development and timely maintenance of technical training materials and programs for product users.
- Lead the content development team in needs analysis and assist in the prioritization of projects. Oversee the design and development of curriculum, content, lab work, certifications, and all related training material.
- Assess and identify technology to enable completion of lab work, both in a classroom, remotely and online. Assess and identify technology to provide online learning via a digital platform that enables learner collaboration through the platform.
- Manage a team of instructors who will deliver public classroom, virtual instructor-led and onsite training.
- Create and execute a comprehensive training strategy designed to maximize client adoption, increase application stickiness, drive revenue growth, and build expertise
- Design a blended learning environment including: e-learning; virtual instructor-led training and public classroom/onsite -training, etc.
- Identify the tools and learning technology choices that will provide ways to cost effectively scale programs and improve learning effectiveness and speed to proficiency for trainees.
- Partner effectively with the sales, customer success, support, and any other organizations to effectively land training in customer accounts.
- Collect and analyze training data to demonstrate the correlation of training to product adoption and retention. Effectively use dashboards to communicate critical metrics and results, monthly and quarterly.
- Create and manage the communication strategy for promoting and highlighting Product Learning Services strategy, priorities, and status.
- You will play a primary role in finding, vetting, procuring, and deploying a formal Learning Management System as approved by internal executive stakeholders.
- Lead your team to manage multiple projects and programs concurrently.
- Provide guidance and support for customer escalations, satisfaction and value attainment. Travel to customer sites as necessary.
May directly supervises up to 5 non-supervisory employees; as the program grows, may manage one to two subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 5-10 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; and 10+ years’ of directly related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of Education and experience to include managing a profit and loss.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in revenue-generating Education services with P&L responsibility
- At least 2 years’ experience at a company with a XaaS business model either fully, or in part, and can apply XaaS principles to a customer-facing training organization.
- 8+ years of professional services or project management experience
- 6+ years leadership experience managing training teams (with direct reports), including international teams to design and develop training programs and curriculum materials for a SaaS company, preferably in Healthcare.
- Can apply data collection methodologies and convert general data and findings into specific, actionable recommendations and is experienced with developing and using dashboards to visualize the education services business.
- Has a solid understanding of the usage of technology in learning, including but not limited to remote virtual delivery, virtual hands-on lab environments, application of social platforms to drive customer engagement, video in online learning, badging, etc.
- Ability to establish strategy and drive execution with tangible results
- An undergraduate degree in either a management, technical, communication, Education or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Technical knowledge in cloud software, API/webservice integration, and VoIP/networks a plus. Cloud based software training and onboarding experience preferred.
- Successful track record in Education and adoption strategy, operations and go-to-market for all digital training courses, subscriptions, video-based offerings and custom courses.
- Experience developing and growing a successful Education services practice or line of business in an enterprise software development organization
- Knowledge of and experience with adult education principles, agile methods, learning technology and program management skills together in the design, development and maintenance of Education solutions as well as assessments, certification or accreditation programs
- Experience developing blended Education models to match the appropriate methods with the subject matter. Includes experience designing and developing stand alone, self-directed e-learning modules.
- Experience working with industry standard Education Management Systems (LMS) and reporting and measuring training results and Education effectiveness.
- Experience managing the review and quality assurance processes for training content and materials.
- Experience integrating the use of knowledge bases and online reference for Education and performance support
- Experience with LMS’s, SCORM and XAPI, and familiarity with online learning technology and virtual delivery technology ideal. Experience analyzing and presenting detailed metrics using tools like Excel, Tableau, SharePoint, LMS or data warehouses and experience using one or more tools like Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, Go Animate, video/audio production or similar.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with Customers/Users, Leaders and team members in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of impact of current, new, and proposed product features
- Understanding of new system implementation and installation processes
- Ability to identify key issues through accurate problem triage
- Knowledge of Microsoft Product Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint and Skype; Internet software; e-learning software such as Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, Go Animate; Education Management Systems, SCORM, XAPI, Web Meeting
- Ability to travel to visit customer sites or attend conferences (approximately 20% travel).
Spok, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Spok Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPOK), headquartered in Springfield, Virginia, is proud to be a global leader in healthcare communications. We deliver clinical information to care teams when and where it matters most to improve patient outcomes. Top hospitals rely on the Spok Care Connect® platform to enhance workflows for clinicians, support administrative compliance, and provide a better experience for patients. Our customers send over 100 million messages each month through their Spok® solutions. Spok is making care collaboration easier. For more information, visit spok.com or follow @spoktweets on Twitter.
At Spok, Inc., we provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other protected status or characteristic. Should you have a disability and need assistance or accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resources at 1-800-852-8935