Linux Engineer (20-121)
Spok has a passion for healthcare and a commitment to our core values of communications, innovation, accountability, and putting the customer first. Hear from five Spok leaders to learn how we’re living those values every day and changing the way healthcare communicates: Transforming an Industry and learn how we’re living our company values every day and change the way healthcare communicates. We’re coders, problems solvers, and learners who are helping caregivers act faster, heal bodies, and save lives.
The Linux Developer is part of a highly motived team responsible for managing Spok’s mission critical software. The role will develop, enhance, and sustain innovative solutions to improve the clients use of their product portfolio. They’ll work collaboratively among the development team and Quality Assurance to solve client technical problems. They’ll participate in determining scope for new projects and deliver on enhancements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Uses scripting tools such as bash to automate installation and upgrade processes
- Maintains existing RPM packages
- Helps develop scripts for post processing of data
- Addresses Linux related issues that may affect application performance or security
- Helps with managing Escalated Support Requests.
- Work within the team to gather requirements and suggest solutions; serve as an integrator between business needs and technology solutions
- Code, test, debug, document and maintain software application following coding standards and methodologies
- Stay current with new Linux technology
- Coach and mentor team members on Linux technology
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Technology or related field required and 6+ years of related experience; or 4+ years’ related experience and/or training with a Master’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Computer Science is preferred.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 and higher
- Solid understanding of RedHat 7 architecture, tools and security
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Advanced knowledge of Linux operating system and architecture of RedHat 7+
- Storage and partitioning
- Kickstart automation
- Installing and configuration of services
- Yum repositories
- VMware (understanding of both physical and virtual)
- Security (CompTIA Security+) (DISA STIGS)
- HA Proxy and high availability
- RPM packaging
- Working knowledge of network architecture in Linux
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify, own, and solve problems independently or as part of a team
Spok, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Spok Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPOK), headquartered in Springfield, Virginia, is proud to be a global leader in healthcare communications. We deliver clinical information to care teams when and where it matters most to improve patient outcomes. Top hospitals rely on the Spok Care Connect® platform to enhance workflows for clinicians, support administrative compliance, and provide a better experience for patients. Our customers send over 100 million messages each month through their Spok® solutions. Spok is making care collaboration easier. For more information, visit spok.com or follow @spoktweets on Twitter.
At Spok, Inc., we provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other protected status or characteristic. Should you have a disability and need assistance or accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resources at 1-800-852-8935