Product Manager - Observability (GDI)
Product Manager - Getting Data In
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are looking for a Product Manager to make it seamless for our customers to capture telemetry from their applications so that it can be analyzed in Splunk Observability Cloud. This position will require a highly technical candidate who understands cloud application development and operations and has an intuition for how we can make it easier for our customers to capture distributed traces, metrics, and logs from their services. We rely and contribute heavily to OpenTelemetry, and this position will oversee our contributions to and usage of OpenTelemetry’s language libraries and agents, and will require a significant amount of community leadership and interaction.
You will work with the product, engineering, and design from across our suite to:
- Be the product expert for extracting data (traces, metrics, logs, profiles, metadata) from customers’ applications; own the roadmap for enhancing our capabilities and reducing customer onboarding friction
- Work within the OpenTelemetry community to continue to develop each OpenTelemetry language agent and SDK’s capabilities, ease of use, etc., and manage the development of these enhancements across different languages and artifacts, with contributors across Splunk and the OpenTelemetry community
- Meet with customers and prospective customers to learn their instrumentation requirements, friction points, and what captures their interest, and then use this data to craft our roadmap
- Understand customer and user needs in depth; communicate those needs crisply and succinctly within Splunk; and work with design and engineering teams to translate those needs into clear priorities, a compelling roadmap and high-impact, innovative features
- Actively maintain a view of how the market, competition and technologies are evolving, and factor it, as well as feedback from internal groups and customers, into the product direction
- Collaborate with product marketing, support and the sales team to solve for business limiters within your control and pursue key business accelerants
- Work closely with engineering to lead and track their contributions across multiple language-specific implementations
- This specific role will require a strong technical background; we a primarily looking for candidates that are currently or have previously worked as software engineers or PMs in extremely technical roles
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize requirements across conflicting dimensions and to be clear on the minimum capabilities that matter
- Excellent analytical / problem-solving skills. Ability to identify patterns and synthesize disparate data into a coherent whole
- Strong written and verbal organizational, analytical, and communication skills. Ability to lead and influence via persuasion, patience and energy
- Experience with developing software, understanding engineering tradeoffs, and an intuition for the needs of the developers and operators who use our products
- A passion for usability and a knack for simplicity
- 3-5 years of experience in product management or technical product management role
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- MBA from a top-tier program
- Background in enterprise SaaS; bonus if those were monitoring or analytics products
- Participation in all stages of the software development lifecycle, experience with Agile software methodologies
- Experience within OpenTelemetry or other open source communities
If you’d like to join one of the fastest growing and most exciting tech companies in the Silicon Valley, contact us! This position has the ability to make a huge impact. Your compensation will include a competitive salary, stock options, cool perks, and generous benefits.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $115,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.