Staff Technical Writer, Splunk Enterprise (Remote, US)
Staff Technical Writer, Splunk Enterprise
Advance your talent and experience as a member of the Splunk doc team! Join an outstanding group of writers and editors who craft high-quality content for Splunk software users. We wrote The Product is Docs, we created the Splunk Style Guide, and we meet regularly as a group to improve our skills and share our knowledge with each other. We engage with our peers throughout the profession to challenge assumptions and provoke discussions about the best ways to develop information, communicate with customers, and address challenges in the industry.
We strive to make Splunk docs the best in the business, and we're seeking someone with a similar drive to write documentation for our Splunk Enterprise product. Technical writers on our team play a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly. Splunk Enterprise writers address technically-minded users including system administrators, data analysts, and knowledge managers. This position offers the rare benefit of direct communication with the customers who use your docs to accomplish their goals. You will directly enable the success of Splunk's largest and most passionate user population.
This position is ideal for a writer who enjoys working on a variety of projects and quickly gaining the technical proficiency needed to contribute independently. You should have a demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality work and the technical background to engage directly with software engineers, product managers, and other technical writers. You must be collaborative, curious, and persistent, with a proactive approach to delivering results. You must be comfortable working in an Agile environment and tracking the work of one or more scrum teams throughout the product development cycle.
- Write clear and accurate documentation that enables customers to use and manage Splunk software effectively and efficiently.
- Integrate quickly with new scrum teams to learn their subject matter and build productive working relationships.
- Work closely with agile development teams and product managers to define documentation requirements and produce customer-facing docs.
- Discuss technical details and solve problems with engineers, customer support reps, technical writers, and customers every day.
- Collaborate with other writers and coordinate on the delivery of shared content.
- Follow an established style guide and work with editors to create the best possible documentation for customers.
- Respond directly to user feedback in email and Slack and integrate user suggestions to continuously improve your documentation.
- 4+ years experience writing documentation for sophisticated enterprise software products.
- Ability to manage time and priorities in a dynamic development environment at a high-growth company.
- Experience documenting software systems that are configured through API endpoints and command-line interfaces, as well as a GUI.
- Familiarity with Windows and Linux system administrator tasks.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience.
- Samples that showcase your best work.
Other relevant skills
- Knowledge of distributed systems and clusters.
- Experience writing for system administrator audiences.
- Knowledge of Splunk software and use cases.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $75,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.