Staff Technical Writer - Cloud & Data Platform
Join a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors dedicated to building high quality content for users of Splunk software. We create documentation that helps Splunk administrators, app developers, and end users add and process data into their Splunk or third-party deployments.
As a technical writer at Splunk, you'll work in a fast-paced environment, in daily collaboration with software engineers, product managers, other technical writers, and editors. You’ll craft customer-facing documentation using MediaWiki and GitLab Markdown toolchains that enable you to continuously update your content with improvements and new features.
To succeed in this role, you are a confident writer of enterprise software documentation who is passionate about learning new concepts and clearly explaining complex software technologies. This position offers continuous learning and frequent direct interaction with enthusiastic customers who rely on Splunk documentation every day to accomplish their goals.
- Write new user documentation for data ingestion applications and technologies in active development.
- Write for a SaaS environment with frequent updates to the documentation and prescriptive guidance that helps customers succeed quickly.
- Work closely with agile development teams and product managers to define documentation requirements and produce customer-facing docs.
- Discuss technical details and tackle problems with engineers, customer support reps, fellow technical writers, and customers every day.
- Passionately pursue the information that your customers need to be successful.
- Follow an established writing style guide and work with editors to provide the best possible documentation for customers.
- Respond directly to user feedback and integrate user suggestions to continuously improve your documentation.
- Develop a holistic understanding of how customers use our software and help them to complete their tasks quickly and accurately.
- Work collaboratively and closely with other writers in your area to ensure consistent and cohesive content, style, and messaging.
- 5+ years of experience researching and writing excellent documentation for enterprise software administrators and developers.
- A genuine desire to learn new things daily and to translate complex topics into language that's accessible to end users.
- Experience writing documentation with a strong customer focus.
- A strong passion for collaboration, teamwork, quality and attention to detail.
- BA/BS degree in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related technical discipline, or relevant professional experience.
- Writing samples that showcase your ability to write for a technical audience.
Other relevant skills
- Experience with common enterprise software domains, such as data availability and streaming analytics.
- Familiarity with REST API concepts and functionality.
- Experience with Git.
- Experience writing for system administrator audiences.
What we offer you
- A set of extraordinarily talented peers who are dedicated to the craft of creating high-quality, customer-pleasing content.
- A multi-functional team that values and relies on accurate, robust documentation.
- Direct, ongoing contact with a passionate customer community.
- Opportunities to influence our style and standards, and participate in lively discussions about how to best present our content to users.
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas and exploring new technologies.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing writers through ownership and leadership opportunities.
- A collaborative and supportive work environment.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.