Sr. Performance Engineer
Join us as we pursue our ground-breaking new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you passionate about learning new technologies and understanding how they work? Are you interested in an opportunity to work with an upbeat team to help drive its products to a new level? We are looking for a seasoned, creative Sr. Performance Engineer to help us focus on the scalability and performance of our products and create relevant benchmarks that address customer use cases.
At Splunk, each and every release of our software is highly scrutinized to meet the demands of our customers. As a Sr. Software Performance Engineer, you'll play a very important role in our products' success. You will collaborate with peers, field teams, customers to understand and encapsulate the use cases into industry standard benchmarks. You will work with product management and interface directly with our customers to get direct exposure to the usage patterns we strive to satisfy. You will also drive projects to integrate benchmarking into our continuous integration and test automation frameworks.
- Design and implement solutions to evaluate and improve performance and scalability of SaaS / Cloud Native / Bigdata Platform and application
- Architect solutions for microservices to do self service performance and scalability evaluation
- Root cause performance and scalability issues and contribute to product code to alleviate these issues
- Optimize sizing of deployed component instances for cost optimization
- You will develop performance and scale test plans based on deep understanding of domain, architecture and product tech stack
- Responsible for designing and implementing relevant simulators to ingest large scale data
- Design, implement and maintain test frameworks
- Support extended teams in troubleshooting problems, such as system malfunctions
- Provide feedback, propose solutions and suggest improvements in the product
- You will partner with other performance engineers and developers to develop best practices, author blogs and white papers, and present internally, at conferences, and directly to partners and customers
- 8 +years of proven experience in software engineering, focusing on performance, scale
- 2 +years of experience with systems engineering and software development
- 2 + years of experience leading and mentoring scale/performance engineers
- Strong analytical and programming skills (Python and/or Java preferred)
- Strong understanding of OS fundamentals (Mac/ Linux/ Windows)
- Proven expertise in solving OS level performance issues
- Excellent Kubernetes diagnostic experience
- Understanding of cloud-scale and micro/macro-services architecture
- Excellent communication with ability to lead discussions
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and great attention to detail
- Experience supporting an enterprise-level SaaS environment
- Experience with AWS, open source tools such as Kafka, Terraform, Spinnaker, InfluxDB, Elasticsearch a plus
- Good understanding of virtualization is a plus
- Skilled in both the art and science of benchmark creation and measurement and modeling of system behavior under load
- Ability to find root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools, pstack, qmlprofiler
- Passionate to optimize the performance bottlenecks and improve the product
- Experience in tackling problems of load, scale, and optimizations of sophisticated large-scale deployments
- Expert in scripting languages (Python) and compiled languages (C/C++)
- Expert in distributed computing system and stack
- Comfortable with Linux, Docker, AWS, GIT, Artifactory in terms of both tools and systems administration
- Experience with enterprise software capacity planning a big plus
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $135,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity at Splunk. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. Splunk is impacted by the mandates outlined for U.S. Government contractors in President Biden’s Path out of the Pandemic: COVID-19 Action Plan. As a result, Splunk requires U.S. employees, whether assigned to an office of 100% remote, to provide proof of full vaccination, as defined by the CDC. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected] Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.